ConsumerGude : 2020 Hyundai Venue test drive...

Sort of replaces the now discontinued Soul 1.6 base. Significantly smaller inside than the Soul but almost as much usable space as a Kona. Like it. Since I'm a HyunKia fan it would be on my short list. Kia will be introducing a platform mate to slip in beneath the Soul in size though it might be priced higher, looks a bit like a really small Seltos but no word whether it will hit America. Can't build enough sub-compact SUV's apparently.

Last edited:
Here in Canada, its suppose to replace the Accent hatchback.

The Venue is a very interesting simple vehicle. The engine is a 1.6L, timing chaing driven, NOT gas directed engine, which is getting rare in 2020. Rear beam suspension with shocks, you can even get rear drum brakes, which I prefer and I never replaced any drum brakes on any of my cars, only had to clean them, very low maintenance and durable.

The only thing "new" in this vehicle mechanically is the new IVT (CVT) transmission, which apparently works very well. It is chain driven, not belt driven. I still do prefer the previous 6 speed automatic which was very good in the Accent (my mother owns one).

Other than that, this car is very practical and low maintenance. Other than the transmission, the rest of the car is very well known.

The 2020 1.6 ltr. engine has been renovated for Kia and Hyundai . . Now uses a plastic oil cartridge as well .

Last edited:
Found this on how to drain oil from the plastic oil filter housing before removal . This applies to the '20 > 22 KIA Rio , Hyundai Accent and Venue .

Co-worker bought a Venue about a year ago. They like it, other than the range. Only going about 300 miles on a tank. Their previous car was a 2016 Ford Fiesta and they could go almost 400 miles on a tank of gas in the Ford. They did say that had they considered the reduction in range on the Venue, they may not have purchased it.

Co-worker bought a Venue about a year ago. They like it, other than the range. Only going about 300 miles on a tank. Their previous car was a 2016 Ford Fiesta and they could go almost 400 miles on a tank of gas in the Ford. They did say that had they considered the reduction in range on the Venue, they may not have purchased it.
So-the question is-if you drive mostly in the city how does the 100 mile less range REALLY AFFECT your life?

They drive 50-60 miles per day, so they just feel like they are going to the gas station more frequently than before.
They are-but if that's a big deal to them I wonder what happens when the REALLY BIG PROBLEMS pop up.

They are-but if that's a big deal to them I wonder what happens when the REALLY BIG PROBLEMS pop up.

That's why they traded the Ford Fiesta after 4 years. Between the transmission "debacle" and losing trust in the vehicle after a few check engine episodes they wanted out. But they do miss the fuel economy and the range provided by the Ford.

Last edited:
They are mostly highway driving, not a ton of stop and go. The interesting thing is the Venue's gas tank is only 1/2 gallon less than the Fiesta. The Venue also has a 2mpg higher combined fuel economy rating. On paper, there should be no appreciable difference in range between the 2 cars. But the owner insists that there is and they are filling up more frequently. 🤷‍♂️

Funny, Kia used to build Ford Fiesta back in 80's. Of course, Kia wasn't owned by Hyundai then.

Wow is that plastic cartridge with the orings, drain, and cotter pin typical with newer cars?

I've never seen anything like that one.

Toyota does a good job with their cartridge filters, and so does GM but this is just weird to me.

Back