Consumer Reports - Tesla Super Chargers experience on a few other brand EVs

I like the idea of non-Tesla EVs sharing the Tesla Supercharger network, if it accelerates the growth of the network. And I think those EVs should charge at a higher price. You might make a case we Tesla owners are subsidizing the poorly run companies who do not have their own network.
Elon has always been grea at obtaining government money.

The only way I see EV can work is if the EV makers agree on cross brand compatible batteries and chargers.

Imagine if you had to use specific appliances in your house due to proprietary plugs, or specific gas stations for proprietary pump nozzles, etc. It wouldn't work.

Reactions: JC1
The only way I see EV can work is if the EV makers agree on cross brand compatible batteries and chargers.

Imagine if you had to use specific appliances in your house due to proprietary plugs, or specific gas stations for proprietary pump nozzles, etc. It wouldn't work.

Would have been nice to mandate a standard plug type in the US years ago, like Europe did…

Elon lying about “open patents” really doomed their Tesla connector (NACS). Other automakers would have adopted it long ago if it was truly a free to use (it wasn’t).

Elon has always been grea at obtaining government money.
EV subsidies are not only available to Tesla, right?
Musk has been consistant about subsidies; he's against them.
You know oil subsidies are in the billions, right?
Has Tesla been bailed out, like GM, Chrysler, etc? Who has paid back loans and who hasn't?
Tesla built and continues to expand their charging network. Who do you think is gonna pay for other company's charging capabilities?

Would have been nice to mandate a standard plug type in the US years ago, like Europe did…

Elon lying about “open patents” really doomed their Tesla connector (NACS). Other automakers would have adopted it long ago if it was truly a free to use (it wasn’t).
The problem is much the same as Europe mandating the USB-C plug. It sounds great now until we outrun the useful life of the design and get to something that can make better data transfer and transfer more power. This isn't a problem for fuel nozzles and the 120V outlet as it's running small appliances. For example for something like a car if I could only use 120V it would take me about 3.5 days if dead. That said I only use 120V at home, but I keep it topped off or it would be an issue. I do Supercharge when needed.

Would it be more convenient to not need an adapter if I didn't use a Tesla Supercharger? Sure, but I keep the adapters in the car so it is still simple enough. There's really only 4 standard plugs now anyway, Tesla, CCS, Chademo, and J1772.

The idea of different chargers is what is stifling EV adoption.

I know three people who eat up the EV mania but ended up in Toyotas RAV4 Prime (42mile EV range) and one Jeep Wrangler 4xe. Tesla does nothing for them .

Last edited:

I know three people who eat up the EV mania but ended up in Toyotas RAV4 Prime (42mile EV range) and one Jeep Wrangler 4xe. Tesla does nothing for them .
You're not wrong. None of it is straight forward.

The physical adapter is the minor part of the annoyance - it's a bigger annoyance to have to join a dozen disparate charging consortiums, a dozen log ins and passwords, and quirks.

Outside of the conversion commitments agreed to It isn't up to Tesla to do anything for Toyota and Stallantis customers.

These respective manufacturers have invested nothing infrastructure wise in a market they wish to capture.

Last edited:
The physical adapter is the minor part of the annoyance - it's a bigger annoyance to have to join a dozen disparate charging consortiums, a dozen log ins and passwords, and quirks.

Outside of the conversion commitments agreed to It isn't up to Tesla to do anything for Toyota and Stallantis customers.

These respective manufacturers have invested nothing infrastructure wise in a market they wish to capture.

A limiting factor for Tesla and all EV car makers is a cohesive charging network. I don’t see it at all as car maker responsibility to lead the charge. More that collectively participate so they can standardize like they did for PC and networking early. and other items like USB C (finally EU bans Apple deviation)

Even a gasoline and diesel fuel filler diameter size is standard .

EV subsidies are not only available to Tesla, right?
Musk has been consistant about subsidies; he's against them.
You know oil subsidies are in the billions, right?
Has Tesla been bailed out, like GM, Chrysler, etc? Who has paid back loans and who hasn't?
Tesla built and continues to expand their charging network. Who do you think is gonna pay for other company's charging capabilities?
LOL.
The only thing he is consistent about is shaming people when they actually point out his inconsistencies.

A limiting factor for Tesla and all EV car makers is a cohesive charging network. I don’t see it at all as car maker responsibility to lead the charge. More that collectively participate so they can standardize like they did for PC and networking early. and other items like USB C (finally EU bans Apple deviation)

Even a gasoline and diesel fuel filler diameter size is standard .

One carmaker DID lead the charge and there is a cohesive network that was, and continues being built out with non government company/ private investor money.

It's up to the rest of the players to make their end happen and the way they are doing it is asking the taxpayers to pick up the bill and trying to avoid paying their own way.

Standardization is great right up until it leads to a lousy experience - the small tesla connector and charging and handshake standard simply works better than that giant chunky CCS connector and pay at the charger with your card and or phone - so whose standard should prevail?

I prefer the direction agnostic lightning cable to a unidirectional tiny USB.

But it stays keyed to the station, when I think adapter I think something that I can take home. Probably why Tesla calls it a dock.

The one you have at your house is typically whatever native format the car is.

One carmaker DID lead the charge and there is a cohesive network that was, and continues being built out with non government company/ private investor money.

It's up to the rest of the players to make their end happen and the way they are doing it is asking the taxpayers to pick up the bill and trying to avoid paying their own way.

Standardization is great right up until it leads to a lousy experience - the small tesla connector and charging and handshake standard simply works better than that giant chunky CCS connector and pay at the charger with your card and or phone - so whose standard should prevail?

I prefer the direction agnostic lightning cable to a unidirectional tiny USB.
Your knowledge on USB C is dated. It is bidirectional and supports much faster charge speeds.

I was not suggesting a limited approach or view that Tesla or other connector is best. Collectively the next generation of charging should be uniform otherwise charging networks will pose challenges along with adoption.

Taxpayers are going to pay for charging per passed infrastructure bill, hopefully a decent path is set forth.

Your knowledge on USB C is dated. It is bidirectional and supports much faster charge speeds.

I was not suggesting a limited approach or view that Tesla or other connector is best. Collectively the next generation of charging should be uniform otherwise charging networks will pose challenges along with adoption.

Taxpayers are going to pay for charging per passed infrastructure bill, hopefully a decent path is set forth.

I guess I do have a few unidirectional USBc's around -

I still dont like it as much as lightning with its negative space inside the connector.

I agree if there is to be a " next standard" unification would be great.

Have you actually handled a CCS connector?

Last edited:

I love the better EV’s. But the plug issue is not on the radar for me. I don’t own one because not only can I NOT afford the ones I like, None of them do what I need.

Back