Consumer Reports - Tesla Super Chargers experience on a few other brand EVs

No surprise there. Furthermore, Tesla owners are going to be more than a little annoyed. They are going to be downright angry at the extended time other makes spend at the Tesla chargers.

If Tesla steps up their game, they could be the major network used by most EV's. That's an amazing possibility. Whether it happens or not is another matter entirely.

Or, the other automakers will catch up to Tesla's technology and then be able to charge in a comparable amount of time.
Tesla's goal is to be the standard for all EV's and receive licensing fees from the other makers. Which they may have to pay since they were dilly dallying for so long while Tesla forged ahead.

Reactions: JC1
I'm not crazy about the idea of competing for charging stations with non Teslas. But if this allows Tesla to build Superchargers on less used routes where there wouldn't be enough business to support a regular Tesla Supercharger I'm all for it.

In our 4,100 Km long drive last spring we never had to wait to charge at any Supercharger. And we only found one charging station (at an 8 station Supercharger) out of order. And in every other case we simply plugged it and it charged. So the comment about the high reliability of Tesla Superchargers is accurate.

I'm not crazy about the idea of competing for charging stations with non Teslas. But if this allows Tesla to build Superchargers on less used routes where there wouldn't be enough business to support a regular Tesla Supercharger I'm all for it.

In our 4,100 Km long drive last spring we never had to wait to charge at any Supercharger. And we only found one charging station (at an 8 station Supercharger) out of order. And in every other case we simply plugged it and it charged. So the comment about the high reliability of Tesla Superchargers is accurate.

The only brand you can put your parents in and not start taking phone calls.

I like the idea of non-Tesla EVs sharing the Tesla Supercharger network, if it accelerates the growth of the network. And I think those EVs should charge at a higher price. You might make a case we Tesla owners are subsidizing the poorly run companies who do not have their own network.

In case Tesla reads these kinds of comments, here are a couple of suggestions:

1) About half way between Kamloops, BC and Jasper, Alberta - a distance of 440 Km/275 miles (which would make driving from Vancouver, BC to Edmonton, Alberta shorter, faster and easier).
2) In Rosetown Saskatchewan (which would make driving by the shortest route from Swift Current, Sask to Saskatoon, Sask a distance of 270 Km (168 miles) less anxiety provoking - as it's at the extreme range of a Model 3 SR+)

A few companies in Canada are building charging networks that might also be useful to Tesla drivers too (Petro Canada I'm thinking of you). Why not have at least one Tesla friendly charging station?

Back