Consumer Reports rates the new Impala best

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once cornered a hack US Representative who was blubbering about putting "High Tariffs" on "imported" cars and asked him if that would include the Crown Vic he arrived in, since it was made in Canada. When he began a [censored] song and dance I added "because the Volvo I arrived in was built in Nova Scotia". His everpresent "aide" then dragged him away on pretext.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wow ...

Apparently no one is allowed to say anything good about american cars ...

Point taken.

Anyone who buys american cars is buying an enormous PoS and is going to waste a ton of maintenance on it. Gotcha.
Ive noticed this on Bitog. Everybody is about BMW, Toyota, and Honda. American branded cars are junk.

I don't see that. I see many people here who like American-branded cars. There are even a couple in that category who are downright ignorant with respect to Asian-branded cars. But overall I find this site and discussion participants to be informed, mostly fair, and represent a wide cross-section of what's out there.

I think Ford's farther along in its "rehab" than GM is but if GM got it right here, then good for them. Time will tell if reliability and resale fall in line with Asian-branded counterparts. Once one of these brands establishes an above average history of those attributes and can have interior quality/materials to match what I want in a car I'd happily consider one one day.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
I wonder how much they got paid?

No one in their right mind would cross shop an Impala and an LS460. LMAO
+1 ROFLMAO

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wow ...

Apparently no one is allowed to say anything good about american cars ...

Point taken.

Anyone who buys american cars is buying an enormous PoS and is going to waste a ton of maintenance on it. Gotcha.
Ive noticed this on Bitog. Everybody is about BMW, Toyota, and Honda. American branded cars are junk.

Uhhh.... Everybody??? :p

You'd think enough people would have been poisoned by the Toyota Kool-aid that folks would stop drinking it, but apparently not. Yup, 300 K and still going strong Camry koolaid.

I honestly don't know or care that much about the new Impala, because being a front-drive its very much on my "I don't give a rip" list. But then neither do the people who are ASSuming it will be a value-dropping maintenance-hog.

Last edited:
haters14.jpg

While I'm more of a Ford guy, congrats to GM. Although it's an interesting mix, those "upscale sedans". They throw the MKZ in there which is a midsize and forget the large and upscale Taurus and MKS.

But nonetheless, good job GM. And FWIW, Honda and Toyota are nothing special and I'd argue were nothing special even "back in the day".

GM should be commended if they have indeed built a better mousetrap than the competition.

Only time will tell if it will have better long-term reliability, resale value, rattles, tightness etc. than the competition. They haven't been close in these areas from a historical perspective.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I won't get started on Subaru. The guy I work with has a 2006 WRX and in the past year has dumbed 2500 bucks into in normal maintenance. None of my GM cars have needed that ever.

I don't know if that's fair. A 7 year old turbocharged, AWD, performance car is not going to be cheap to maintain.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
While I'm more of a Ford guy, congrats to GM. Although it's an interesting mix, those "upscale sedans". They throw the MKZ in there which is a midsize and forget the large and upscale Taurus and MKS.

They did not forget them.

The Taurus is a couple slots down the "upscale sedan" list. I just didn't list all the ones after the ES 350.

Same with the "luxury sedan" list. I only listed the top ones, not all of them. The MKS is in the luxury sedan category because it's more expensive. It's farther down the list.

"Impala got 22 miles per gallon overall with its 3.6-liter V-6 engine and six-speed automatic transmission, which was fine, but not class leading. But that didn't seem to matter. ..Impala is competitive with cars that cost $20,000 more"

The Impala? Really?!?

I am not against all GM products so don't read into this, but I have driven several iterations of the Impala. They are not even competitive with cars that cost the same let alone ones that are $20K more. Sorry, but it just isn't that great of a car. I would put any of the Buick line ahead of the Impala every time. It's just not a very good car.

To even mention it in the same article as the Tesla or some of the other cars they did is messed up.

I won't join the CR banter or which one is better banter, but could the folks who have non GM cars tell me how you know about maintenance cost on them?

Define "routine". When my parents had an Astro and some of the S10 blazers they seemed to eat front end parts. Cheap, but yearly. Dad's Alero for some reason keeps setting the ABS light--it eats wheel bearings. Still running ok with over 200k on it, I think it's a 3.1L plus 4spd auto, so not bad, but same hub replaced at least twice.

I never understood why even a $1k timing belt was horrendous. I mean, if it's every 100kmiles--small beans on cost/mile! VW was probably the worst in this regard, as for one year or so they had the New Beetle TDi/auto requiring a TB every 40k. That was pretty bad... and the DSG's requiring fluid changes every 40k... That said, problem models/options are pretty easy to avoid. Most of the manufacturers have ditched timing belts for chains. Most but not all.

My Saturn had cheap maintance costs but it still needed a/c repair w/in the 4.5 years I owned it; it also drank oil "routinely". I'm guessing it needed struts when I traded it. My brother's Exploders have all needed odd repairs (timing chains that break, rear idler arms, HVAC controls that don't work).

So, in my family we have had, and still have, domestic vehicles. All of them have had issues, none of have been perfect. I *think* overall the imports have been better on repairs. Maintance costs have been trivial in comparasion to purchase and repairs.

^^^Have you driven THIS Impala?

The only thing carried over is wrong wheel drive. Quite a nice redesign, and IMO a real value for those looking for a larger sedan.

As I said earlier, wait till the turbo 4 comes out and that thing will get nice mileage as well.

How are the newer GM interiors? Are they still Fisher Price quality?

Originally Posted By: Huie83
Completely agree with you! My 2010 Impala was very nice when new. 70K miles and 3 years later and it feels very old and raggedy. Lots of rattles and "nickle and dime" repairs. No major issues but lots of little stuff like random electrical wires breaking, fluid leaks, fan motors going bad etc. Never had a car with so many weird issues.

Considering that your 2010 model is the same car (with a few cosmetic upgrades) that GM designed in the late 1990's, that was then based on an earlier car designed in the late 1980's... I'm not surprised.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I am not against all GM products so don't read into this, but I have driven several iterations of the Impala. They are not even competitive with cars that cost the same let alone ones that are $20K more. Sorry, but it just isn't that great of a car. I would put any of the Buick line ahead of the Impala every time. It's just not a very good car.

To even mention it in the same article as the Tesla or some of the other cars they did is messed up.

This thread is about the 2014 Impala. How many 2014 Impalas have you driven?

I like reading Consumers Reports and consider their ratings as ONE set of inputs; years ago when I followed their recommendations for Falken tires they turned out to be junk for our 1999 Accord. Probably just a one-off thing, but there it is.

smirk.gif
Calling that car is an Impala is an insult to the sixties cruisers anyway.
Kevin

I doubt anyone is paying what GM is asking for their cars... Im glad GM is improving but IMO the Impalla is not a very good looking car. The rear end proportions just seem off. Interior is improved but still not up with either Ford, Lexus or European imports. GM needs to hire a former Audi interior designer.

Originally Posted By: glock19
I won't get started on Subaru. The guy I work with has a 2006 WRX and in the past year has dumbed 2500 bucks into in normal maintenance. None of my GM cars have needed that ever.

I don't know if that's fair. A 7 year old turbocharged, AWD, performance car is not going to be cheap to maintain.

More than fair, it is bone stock, never tracked 90,000 mile car that runs low 14's at best, lots of performance there.

My supercharged modified 13 second Buick cost less to own and has 130,000 on it. The 11 second Trans Am has never cost me that much in maintenance unless I broke it at the track during a hard launch and had to replace the rearend. In addition to that I had a bunch of Mopar Turbo Dodges. They were all modified and took a good beating I don't remember ever putting 2500 dollars into any of them. $2500 for "routine maintenance" is B.S.

Last edited:
Has anyone sat in this car to make assumption about the interior. I just drove one and very nice and put together well, just as good as the new Toyotas and Hondas.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Huie83
Completely agree with you! My 2010 Impala was very nice when new. 70K miles and 3 years later and it feels very old and raggedy. Lots of rattles and "nickle and dime" repairs. No major issues but lots of little stuff like random electrical wires breaking, fluid leaks, fan motors going bad etc. Never had a car with so many weird issues.

Considering that your 2010 model is the same car (with a few cosmetic upgrades) that GM designed in the late 1990's, that was then based on an earlier car designed in the late 1980's... I'm not surprised.

I hear you, the 2014 is a supposedly "a all new design" so I hope its better than the 2010. I wonder what GM used in the internals of the electronics etc on the new Impala though? If it's the same old junk it's going to break just like the 2010 in a few years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back