Consumer Reports : Direct Injection at a price for fuel economy ( 2015 )

I'm ok with crank windows and a manual trans. And I prefer radios with knobs.
My Android based (not Android auto, essentially an Android tablet in HU format) has two knobs. It's slow today, and I'd probably not do it again. But it has knobs :)

I have no interest in barbaric fuel metering devices.

Port fuel injection, sure. Carbs - hard no. I don't have an older vehicle with a carb, but if I did, I would be saving my pennies for a throttle body FI system.
Agree with you there. Probably not that many of us left that can rebuild a q-jet or set float heights.
I also like changing plugs every 80-100k vs 30k.

Agree with you there. Probably not that many of us left that can rebuild a q-jet or set float heights.
I also like changing plugs every 80-100k vs 30k.
I still rebuild Q-Jets; I don’t mind working with pre-1975 carburetor equipped cars, but on new cars give me direct or port injection.
Speaking of Q-Jets, if you have the time and the parts(jets, metering rods, power piston springs) you can dial in that carburetor to an extremely accurate degree.

Last edited:
I still rebuild Q-Jets; I don’t mind working with pre-1975 carburetor equipped cars, but on new cars give me direct or port injection.
Speaking of Q-Jets, if you have the time and the parts(jets, metering rods, power piston springs) you can dial in that carburetor to an extremely accurate degree.
The only other place to get a carb right, was brad urbans carb shop, but i think he died. I have not rebuild one in 25 years, last one was on an olds 403.

Bring back 0-60 times of 15-20 seconds and watch MPG skyrocket.
I think there is a pretty good case for vastly underpowered engines not providing a large increase and sometimes even a decrease in fuel mileage.

Easy example from your post... Does it sound more efficient to be in fuel enrichment mode and running at AFRS of 11:1 for 15-20 seconds while trying to accelerate on a merge ramp or half throttle on a decently powered engine easily accelerating to merge speeds all while running 14.7:1 AFRS?

Back