Constant use of HI-MILEage bad for use in 1991 Corolla??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see a problem. The high mileage oils usually say on the bottle that they contain "seal swellers" of some sort, but in reality what they use is about 10% esters in the base oil, which do have a very slight swelling effect, but not a huge amount. The major difference in these oils which helps to reduce consumption is the fact that they are thicker than most oils of the same viscosity, they are on the higher end of their respective viscosity range.

Having the little bit of esters in these oils also helps to keep things a little bit cleaner too.

So to sum up, you should have no problems using this oil for a long time. In fact someone with a brand new engine could most likely use this oil from day one and have good results for it's entire life. From what I've seen on the high mileage oils, not only are they thicker but they seem to hold their viscosity better than lower cost conventionals do.

That too and they usually have a little more robust additive packaging with more moly and boron, at least the Pennz. version does. I tried the Vavoline Maxlife once and didn't like it. Things just didn't sound the same on the engine. Later, after reading on this board, I found out why.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
----SNIPP----ed---

this oil for a long time. In fact someone with a brand new engine could most likely use this oil from day one and have good results for it's entire life. --Snipped--

May be true but I don't think all of these oils are approved for NEW cars and could void the warranty.

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
----SNIPP----ed---

this oil for a long time. In fact someone with a brand new engine could most likely use this oil from day one and have good results for it's entire life. --Snipped--

May be true but I don't think all of these oils are approved for NEW cars and could void the warranty.

I think most of the high mileage oils have the starburst don't they? If not, you're right, warranty would be an issue. Although I've never worried much about that myself. My wife's Honda should've been getting 6000km oil changes if I wanted to stick to the letter of the law for it's warranty, but I was doing 10 to 11,000km oil changes with the car almost right away, and still go 8,000km now, even though the warranty still has one year left on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back