Considering topping off her ATF 1/2 qt. Whine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all. The SUV situation with 03 Envoy XL has improved, somewhat. I feel there MAY be a SLIGHT "whine"/whirr noise. I have heard transmissions make this noise, so i suspect it may be that. WAG. 144,000 miles.

It happens after the vehicle is fully warmed, driving for ~1 hour or so, and is consistent with RPMs, no variance, the whine is the same as the RPMs. I do not know if it is a funky echo resonating through the engine to bellhousing to interior as a whine, or if it really is a whine. Almost sounds like a "whirr." Truck does not exhibit any symptoms of a problem, but it sounds like an RPM-consistent whine. I do not know the transmission model of this SUV.

I was going to top off a half quart cold when i check the oil level and add the Moly additive on or after March 8th, when the vehicle will be serviced. Mechanic would say "It its not exhibiting a problem then its fine." However, the whine is maddening. Occurs full hot, from lights, does not go away. What could it be?

And what kind of ATF? Supertech High Mileage? Maxlife Dex/Merc? Castrol? What ATF fluid is it that goes in? (If i were to fill a half quart. I cannot check it hot)

Also, update/offtopic 1. The SES light is off for now, its still at "160 degrees" or a touch over (its supposed to be at 210 degrees, or a touch under. Motor oil is 10W-40 with an oil additive as per mech, no name or type, same for additive. I feel the additive is STP for some sneaky reason. I will be adding Moly additive once the temperature is fixed, since temperature helps the moly.. why add when stat is failing and engine is cool at 160.
21.gif
)

Will NAPA Moly plug any sensors in her engine?

Also. Offtopic/update, 2. Contrary to every urge i have had, no more Seafoam has gone in that tank! (I read about people "shock treatment"ing their gas a LOT in the Gas Additives section. One quart MMO, one quart ATF in gas. This is not my own car or I would have tried a quart ATF in the gas.. I second Gary Allan's results that it works well. Perhaps I will add Techron XL for the next clean-up.)

Techron bottle is ok, yes?

A automatic transmission is lubricated by pressure, similar to a engine... Unless it's probably two quarts low, a ½ qt of fluid isn't going to make any difference... The fluid expands when hot so that's when it is to be checked, cold it may be a pint plus low which is normal...

You appear to be [censored]-bent on killing this thing with "love" and are going to get blamed when you do.

I'd leave it alone.

1. Unknown. Probably deep purple. Dunno if that's good or bad. Id have to see. 4WD (it is selectable, there is a knob) has NEVER BEEN USED NOT ONE TIME on this truck.

2. It is original fluid. Guaranteed.

3. No.

4. I will be unable to tell if it "smells burnt," I have to add cold
frown.gif

Vehicle used almost 300 miles today alone and turned 145,000 miles+. THIS IS A HEAVILY USED AS WELL AS ABUSED DAILY DRIVER WITH 50% BAD STOP AND GO AND THE OTHER HALF HIGHWAY, TURN KEY START AND DART WITH 10W-40. EVERYDAY I DONT ACT IS ANOTHER 100 MILES. THAT SERIOUS. This truck has held up well but, my god.. it can only be a TANK for so long. Right? Washed and vacuumed today. Waxed will be next month. One of those... half quart low at OC.. Sludge city I think... whoa.

Its like a GMC Volkswagen, I'm willing to bet (maintenance stories-wise.)

Good LGR candidate? And what will happen with one quart Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF? Assume 1qt overfull if not almost correct level.. its that *sound.* Faint cold, whines louder hot. Maybe its low. WAG.

LGR? ATF?

LGR is a fantastic additive. It does NOT rebuild damaged slushboxes but it smooths shifts and engagements and generally lowers fluid temps in an amazing way.

I would not hesitate to try it and consider using up to twice their recommendations as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back