Considering Penzzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Y.Bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a lurker/reader for awhile and now a registered user & I was wondering on a reccomendation on engine oil with regards to pennzoil products.

I've been using Castrol GTX(white bottle) with no issues ever since 2007 when i bought my current car and i would stock up on about 6/7 x 4.4L jugs every boxing day as Walmart has usually had the oil for $10/jug. These tend to last me for the year. I use either Wix/Bosch Premium/OEM Honda filters. As my oil stock is depleting...this time around it seems Walmart canceled the Castrol GTX sale and has Pennzoi Yellow Bottle($10) and Penzoil Platinum($20) on sale instead. Having never used these before I was hoping on your suggestions/opinions.

Some info about the car, driving style etc below...
The car in question is a 1999 Honda Accord LX - F23a1. Engine modification wise it only has SRI/SS Header/Magnaflow CatBack Exhaust. The service manual reccomendation is that engine oil must be 5w30 and meet GF-4 Standards and follow an interval of every 3,750 miles (6,000 km) or 6 months (Severe conditions). I bought the car used with 125 000km and it now sits with 255 000km. Ever since have been using Castrol GTX(white bottle) every 4000-5000km(never surpassing the 5000km mark). Every oil change obviously goes along with a filter change of either Wix/Bosch Prem/OEM Honda. I reside in Toronto, Ontario CANADA and the vehicle is parked outdoors all year long. The car is driven in a mix of conditions from easy to hard, and slow to fast. My driving consists of short trips(with regards to personal shopping) and highway for work(30min drive one way). To date the car shows no signs of burning oil or oil leaks aside from a leaky oil pressure switch that was replaced this past summer. It has no hesitation on startups etc. I'm usually a picky person about my vehicles and usually check the fluid levels at least once a week and going as far as giving the suspension a full shakedown once every 2 months. On the last tuneup done a couple of months ago each cylinder showed 210psi all across.

With the above in mind...would you recommend Pennzoil Yellow Bottle or Platinum? or not Pennzoil at all?

What do you think of the idea of using platinum in the winter months and yellow bottle in the summer?(hoping platinum being a synthetic would aid in cold starting)

Any adverse effects to look out for switching from Castrol GTX to Pennzoil?

Because of your frigid weather and almost no summer I'd go with Pennzoil Platinum for 20$ on sale for Boxing Week at Walmart and stock up.

And Welcome to Bitog!

either oil is fine... but yeah sure, use the syn in the harsher months, and the yellow bottle in warmer months. No problem at all.

Last edited:
I would have to agree that with the amount of cold temps you see PP would be better for cold flow properties at start up. As for switching out for summer that would be your choice but PP year round would also be an excellent choice. No, going from GTX to PP will cause you no harm or issues at all unless you have a sludged engine as the PP would possibly loosen up some crud and move it thru the oiling system possibly clogging up some oil ports or worse case the oil pump pickup screen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
either oil is fine... but yeah sure, use the syn in the harsher months, and the yellow bottle in warmer months. No problem at all.

...that's funny (in a good way) 'cause I'm doing just the opposite...in Kitacam's 2.4 LE that's not leaking/burning a drop @ 100k mi...

I'll be rotating PYB here in Florida winter and PP in the hot summer months...(both 5w-30 as per manual)...

No problem switching from Castrol GTX to PYB, the PYB is every bit as good as Castrol and some may even say it's better.

The PP will have better cold flow, but I wouldn't make the switch to synthetic if you aren't going to extend your OCI. Assuming your engine is in good working condition, you could easily double your current OCI with PP. In most applications, PP will be good for 10K miles. (16000 km) Even the Castrol GTX or PYB are typically good for at least 5,000 miles. (8000 km)

Thanks for the replies guys/gals. I'll most likely be sticking with 4-5000km intervals no matter if P.Y.B. or if P.P maybe stretch it to 7500km.

Originally Posted By: fauxchemist
Stick with the GTX, it has served you well this far. Why move to synthetic?

The reason is mentioned in the original post. It isnt a move to synthetic exactely...more of a move to Pennzoil in either conventional or synthetic.

Last edited:
Just use Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, its a waste of thought to switch back and forth between PP and PYB

For PP: Change it every 12000km or 12 months. I would pick a Bosch DistancePlus, Purolator Synthetic, or Fram Ultra oil filter.

For PYB: Change it every 6000km or 6 months. Pick a Purolator PureOne or Bosch Premium filter

Also, my Accord and Civic love Pennzoil
smile.gif

Last edited:
So Pennzoil Yellow bottle is on sale at the same time as PP??

If that is the case.....$10 a jug for PYB would be my first choice. Don't forget that you can always add a couple of quarts of PP to your fill of PYB.

Heck, if I were you I'd make a "synthetic blend", of PYB and PP for year round use.

I mix and blend oil all the time. Synthetic and Dino oils, especially in the same family, are all compatible with each other.

Since you always change your oil before 3000 miles/5000kms, just buy the PYB. Great oil and just as good if not better than GTX. No need to waste your money on PP.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Just use Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, its a waste of thought to switch back and forth between PP and PYB

For PP: Change it every 12000km or 12 months. I would pick a Bosch DistancePlus, Purolator Synthetic, or Fram Ultra oil filter.

For PYB: Change it every 6000km or 6 months. Pick a Purolator PureOne or Bosch Premium filter

Also, my Accord and Civic love Pennzoil
smile.gif

Pennzoil Platinum would be alright to run for 12k km?

Most shops here in BC recommends running synthetic oil for around 6k km max... so far i never heard any shop recommending running 10k kms on synthetic.. Even my local dealership said if i want to use synthetic on our minivan( it is still on warranty) to use synthetic for 5k km... that's what they normally recommend for most cars.. 5k km intervals.. but with synthetic.. they said its still the same....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falken
Because of your frigid weather and almost no summer I'd go with Pennzoil Platinum for 20$ on sale for Boxing Week at Walmart and stock up.

And Welcome to Bitog!

Frigid weather and almost no summer !! What planet are you from ?
Toronto and Southern Ontario are no way near the weather you get in
Montreal.

Ok sorry I'll try to retire in balmy Toronto.

But seriously, there are a lot of cold months that I wouldn't even bother with PYB at syn prices being what they are, and you can extend the OCI and save the effort of having to change your oil as often.

Montreal weather is bad. No arguments here. When you see people wearing crampons and traction devices on their feet it says a lot.

Once again, thank you everyone for your input.

I ended up getting 6x Pennzoil Platinum as someone who claimed they had a shop picked up 4 full carts of the PYB(the full skid Walmart had out)...which i admit i found kind of funny.

I could've visited the next closest walmart but figured no point in it as $20Oil + $5 OEM Filter = $25 oil change with synthetic is OK with me.

Originally Posted By: stunnerrr
With the above in mind...would you recommend Pennzoil Yellow Bottle or Platinum? or not Pennzoil at all?

It depends. If you're going to be following your previous oil change interval of 5000 km, PYB will do just fine. And don't worry about the weather, either, unless you do an incredible amount of unaided starts in -40. I'm in Saskatchewan, and I haven't had trouble with conventional 5w-30 in the winter in any brand.

If PP makes you sleep better when it's chilly out or you want to extend your OCI, go for it. The price is decent.

If you're switching from GTX because of the perceived cost issue, don't. Walmart and Canadian Tire almost always have GTX on sale. Even though the sale is "officially" over, a couple Walmarts here still have tons of the 4.4 L GTX bottles on hand and they're still on special. Further, no other oil is rolled back as frequently at WM or CT as is GTX. If it's not at sale at WM, check CT. If not at CT, check WM. Or, wait until next week and it will be.

However, both the PYB and PP are very attractively priced right now. Another synthetic option right now is Napa Canada. They should have theirs on for $19.99 for five litres until December 31. There are plenty of options.

Reading ahead, I see you got the PP. It will serve you very well.

I picked up 4 jugs PP 5w20 at WM in London for $19.88/jug. I'm happy now that I've got the PP. It seems that it is a very well respected oil on this forum.
I'm currently using VSP in my Tundra but will switch over next OCI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back