Considering changing CC firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
So at my old job there were no restrictions on firearms, & I wore suits all day so conceal/carry was easy. I chose the XDm 45 in 4.5" barrel. I have a different job now, and the main time I'd be carrying is in street clothes. In a T-shirt it's not an issue, but if I wear a fitted button down shirt my narrower waist shows off the firearm. For those that are curious I wear a 44" suit jacket but have a 32" waist and 29" quads. I'm not proportionate.

Do you think it would be worth it go down to something like a Glock 30, XDm 3.8" or Sig P229/P227 (if the P227 ever hit shelves) in this instance?

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

You might consider a Glock 30s. It's a thinner 30, similar to the hybrid people were carrying (myself included) made from a 36 slide mated to a 30 frame.

What somethign single stack like the springfield xds or m&p shield or beretta nano or walther pps or something from ruger or keltec or kahr

Last edited:
I haven't measured my quads lately but I have a 32 inch waist and never took waist size intro consideration for CCW. Sounds like I dress the same as you as well. No jacket, just a button up shirt and slacks. Its hard to hide. You can carry something small in a pocket holster, but I chose an ankle holster for my Beretta Nano, and I like it. The holster is comfortable, and so am I.

Hard to beat the Kel-Tec .380 or Ruger LCP for ease of carry. I'm a member of the "whatever you have with you is better than what you left at home" school of thought.

Does the gun have to be completely hidden? A j-frame with a Desantis Insider is something I have been experimenting with,The grip of the gun is just behind the beltline and the cylinder below it for a very slim fit, but you can still see a little of the belt clip. Otherwise ankle carry.

Maybe something like a Crossbreed Mini Tuck and a M&P Shield? You should be able to hide it very well. I'm a bit bigger than you, but I was able to carry a full size 1911 in a White Hat Holsters Max Tuck (very similar to the Cross Breed Super Tuck) with a tucked in button down shirt. There was no printing unless I did something like bend at the waist to pick something up. The on;y thing showing was the belt clips.

I'm 74", 240lbs. I have an LC9 that hides pretty good IWB under not-too-tight shirts. I can't remember what name, but it's a Galco w/kydex and leather.

I'm built like you...SUX doesn't it! No such thing as "skinny jeans" for tree truck legs. I have kankles too!

Anyway, I was not a big believer in the MnP until I took an armorer's class with some fed cop buddies. The gun impressed me (LE version anyway). If you can carry a little weight then you can go wrong with the G30 but pretty thick if you ask me. G36 I carry often in summer and it's just the right size.

Most often I carry Kahr PM40 and let me tell you, what an amazing little gun. Fits in you shirt pocket, light weight, and thin! At 7-15 yards shoot pretty small groups for such a tiny gun.

All that said, MnP SHield in 40 is pretty hard to beat, especially for the price.

Last edited:
I just pocket carry.

Sig 238, PPK, Tomcat, all pocket carry easily.

So do most snubbies. The Ruger LCR is an easy pocket carry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
I'm 74", 240lbs. I have an LC9 that hides pretty good IWB under not-too-tight shirts. I can't remember what name, but it's a Galco w/kydex and leather.

This, I also have a LC-9 that is easy to pocket carry with a DeSantis holster.

I pocket carry my j-frame in a desantis nemesis. problem is you cant draw sitting down,including in a car. I carry that way when nothing else will work with my clothes .

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible

Upon further review, I believe I have a Galco King Tuk IWB holster for that LC9.

Pulls in tight, has a forward cant, and all that leather keeps it from moving around very much. The clips are easy to install and remove. And it's an easy draw without fear of it falling out.

I'd give it a 9.0 to 9.5 out of 10.

I pocket carry a 2nd Generation Diamondback DB9 in a leather pocket holster. Loaded with 9MM 115 gr hollow points in comes in at 15.6 6 oz with my holster it does not print.

If you like polymer-framed handguns look no further than an HK P2000 SK for concealed carry. If all metal/alloy handgun is your consideration than check out a Sig P239 SAS Gen 2 or Bob Wesson V-Bob.

They all carry very well in business attire w/ the proper holster, in my experience.

Good Luck!

I like an LC9 in a Blackhawk IWB. The 9mm is IMO the lowest power round worth carrying. The LC9 is very small, has 7+1, and is very much point/shoot. Plenty accurate at 5 yds, and easy to get back on target. I can carry it in some pants pockets, but they tend to be bigger than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back