Considering Castrol Edge 0W20 for the GMC after PQIA's Recent VOA

It has been stated that TBN retention is > TBN starting number. I have not kept up with UOAs for this oil, but I wonder what the retention looks like.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Lousy noack, TBN, and Boron/Moly combo.

And yet it is dexos approved and PQIA says:

The results of the tests conducted on this sample meet the SAE J300 specifications for the SAE Viscosity Grade listed on the product label, and are consistent with the listed API Service Categories.

You're able to divine the future performance of this oil compared to another via the items you list? Are you one of those who chooses an oil because you can exclaim "look at that slug of moly" or "healthy dose of boron", which seems to be the decision criteria for many here?

noack is a moving target in 0W20 formulations, nothing new about that.

I have some of this oil in my stash, wasn't trying to knock it, I just wouldn't go out of my way to get it. Castrol is rarely on sale like Pennzoil and Mobil 1 plus no rebates ever for Castrol.

If Castrol is your preferred choice, why not use it ?
Dispersants. Results.

FWIW, my choice would always be M1 AP in that 0W20 grade.
A little more expensive in the 5 quart jug at Walmart than the best priced 0W20's.
However AP has the following attributes.
--thinner than EP.
--more PAO.
--beefier add pack.
--yet, the same SA.

Even though not extending the OCi diminishes ROI slightly,
this would be my selection.

Originally Posted by kschachn

And yet it is dexos approved and PQIA says:

The results of the tests conducted on this sample meet the SAE J300 specifications for the SAE Viscosity Grade listed on the product label, and are consistent with the listed API Service Categories.

You're able to divine the future performance of this oil compared to another via the items you list? Are you one of those who chooses an oil because you can exclaim "look at that slug of moly" or "healthy dose of boron", which seems to be the decision criteria for many here?

Isn't this what the whole point of the Oil Forum about? If there is no comparison to compare, we would not even need an oil forum. Just use whatever is the cheapest D1G2 oil.

So what brand are you using? Warren Distribution oils?

Yep. Even super tech has at least 240 parts per million of boron and 70 parts per million of Molly. Castro edge claims to have 10 times better film strength. Looks to me like they came up with a 10 times better film strength from adding temp parts per million of titanium. Well that's true then conco 66 gtx-1 With liquid titanium could claim 100 x film strength since they have 100 parts per million titanium.

Yep. Even super tech has at least 240 parts per million of boron and 70 parts per million of Molly. Castro edge claims to have 10 times better film strength. Looks to me like they came up with a 10 times better film strength from adding temp parts per million of titanium. Well that's true then conco 66 gtx-1 With liquid titanium could claim 100 x film strength since they have 100 parts per million titanium.
Correction: I meant to say that super tech has 450 ppms of boron

The VOA listed is also SN+/GF5. Not the newer formulation of SP/GF6.

They do?

Back