Considering Caliber SRT-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really need to shop your car around. When trying to trade my TC in i went to various dealers, Saturn wanted to give me 6k for a 2008 Scion TC with only 11k miles. Best one was at Honda(didn't buy a Honda from them, but a used Nissan Xterra). I got 13k for my TC. I owed 15.3 on it. They sold the TC a week later for 14k(saw the add for it after doing a VIN search and confirmed with their salesman when picking up plates).

Have to shop around is all, [censored] the Toyota dealership where I bought the TC wouldn't budge over 11.5 for it.

Last edited:
I don't think we need to argue about this anymore -- he's no longer considering it.

I can imagine trade-ins are aweful on a new Chrysler.

It seems that anyone that would purchase a Chrylser product now need to be sure that they are going to keep the car for a long time as it will have a horrible depreciation on it...and it was not that great before all of this mess.....

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
If it's more than $21K, walk away. More money than that can get you a superior car from its list of competitors.

So true. A friend just picked up an 09 Cobalt SS Sedan for just over $15k at dealer auction.

Actually ther Caliber is supposed to be pretty reliable. I agree that the interior is cheap looking but if the thing is decently put together and is reliable AND you can get a really exceptional deal I say buy it.

I would actually consider buying a regular one brand new if I could get it for 6k.
28.gif

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
"Nowhere near the best in class" is a very generous way to put it. The Caliber is one of the worst small cars on the market. It's not particularly cheap, not particularly well designed, not well built at all, and not even particularly small.

I rented one a couple of months ago from Enterprise..It was the worst car if ever rented in my entire life..The seats were way 2 low,horrible riding and handling and it was terrible on fuel..I brought it back the next day to get something else..That was the first time I brought back a rental cause I hated it so much.

I too had a Caliber in Phoenix from Enterprise Rental and it was terrable. Poor seats and couldn't see out of the windows(poor view all around). For a rental car, I don't care if the interior is cheap, it's only a rental, Im not buying one. I did drive it for the week. I have returned rentals after only one day because they were running poorly but, I did return a Colbalt 2 door,(the only rental that I returned after only one day that was actually running fine), because I disliked the car so much. I did have a 4 door Colbalt rental at a different time that was better.

Well, I found another left over 08 model at another nearby dealership. I have spoken with the sales manager at the dealership and if the numbers he's talking are real I might bring it home.

If it works out I'll be back on here talking oil with you guys very early as the car has been sitting for over a year with the factory fill.

Ok, it looks like I might be driving a SRT-4 tonight. I'll let you guys know in a bit. The car has 2k miles on it (manager drove it) so I'll be doing an oil change first thing.

Well they arrived with the car last night. The interior had a couple of rattles, the bumper's seams were not uniform and I could see bare metal on the bottom side of the hood in a couple of places. I honestly believe the car has been wrecked. It's a leftover 08 model with 2k miles on it. The dealer had said that the car came from another dealer. Needless to say something was fishy to start with. I hated to do it, but I sent them back with the car. Live and learn.

Originally Posted By: Gilitar
Well they arrived with the car last night. The interior had a couple of rattles, the bumper's seams were not uniform and I could see bare metal on the bottom side of the hood in a couple of places. I honestly believe the car has been wrecked. It's a leftover 08 model with 2k miles on it. The dealer had said that the car came from another dealer. Needless to say something was fishy to start with. I hated to do it, but I sent them back with the car. Live and learn.

You 100% did the right thing not getting it.

if you think that it was wrecked, then you did the right thing. as well, listen to what pop rivit said on page 1.don't listen to what the mags or the self- proclaimed "experts" say.there are too many variables involved. opinions vary on quality of ride, seating position/comfort, instrument panel style/layout, braking, suspension, drive train performance, and so on.a thinking person drives the car for himself, then decides.
the same thing should apply to new cars.drive 3 or 4 different offerings, and buy the one that you like the best in your price range.NEVER listen to people who knock a particular product.they have an ax to grind, and should be avoided. to sum it up, just use common sense. good luck in your purchase.

Originally Posted By: yeti
NEVER listen to people who knock a particular product.they have an ax to grind, and should be avoided.

You might want to elaborate on this a little. I think I know what you mean but the way it's stated is a bit odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back