Considering buying my BMW lease - seeking input

Any work on the oil filter housing is going to be big $$$ because it's located at the back of the engine instead of the front as found on previous iterations of the BMW I6. VANOS solenoids are also on the back.
Good advise there. Check out both of these issues very carefully.

I had the vanos system rebuilt on (literally) the last day of the warranty. The dealer didn't know how to diagnose it so I took them the information. Got the diagnostic information from Bimmer Roadfly. On my 528i the diagnosis was made by observing "porposing" at idle when cold. I had to leave the car at the dealership overnight so it would be cold enough to demonstrate the problem. I hate to think what that repair would have cost (a couple of thousand I expect).

And my oil filter housing was weeping. I suspect most of them do. It sounds like an innocuous enough problem (replace a $10 gasket) but it would have cost several hundred bucks to replace it. And that assumes none of the plastic stuff they have to take off to get at it broke. And the housing was on the front of my engine.

We are in the same exact position. 2019 540i coming off lease in 2 months w/ 36K miles. As much as I am hesitant to buy a used BMW, at least we know its history. We are still torn, but I think it makes sense to buy it. It's hard to wrap our heads around. It's also lame knowing that there is a good chance that in a year or two it will be worth nothing if car prices stabilze at a normal level - but, we still probably can't get anything better for the money today.

If you need a car, you like this car and it is in the budget, it is likely the best deal right now.
Otherwise buying an expensive car as an investment is a pretty shakey deal. Warehousing is starting to stabilize; hiring is up.
In a year we will likely be in a different car market. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back