Considering a new vehicle, not sure what one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's current daily driver is a 2014 Ford Edge with the 3.5L, 60k miles. She puts on about 15-18k per year currently, 80% hwy. It only has front wheel drive and she'd like AWD (not 4WD), being in WI. I think blind spot would be nice, too (have it on my truck).
Needs tires and brakes in the next year (tires before winter), that is $1000 if I do the brakes myself. Owe about $6k, worth about $11,500 to $12,000 on trade according to Edmunds (KBB is usually low, NADA is usually high). Have a Ford warranty until 75k, but they are really picky about fixing things lately. Not real happy with the direction of the company, and that includes a lot of problems with my 2018 F-150.

I ran the numbers and accounting for what we owe, depreciation of the current vehicle with more miles and being older, the maintenance items I know are coming, and that we can probably get a pretty good deal on a 2019 in a few months, we would break about even if we got the new one now or one year from now. We would actually be worse-off if we waited two years. It isn't until after that where we would start to come out ahead on the curve, and who knows what repairs we might needs (internal water pump failure, anyone?) and my wife would be driving a vehicle without AWD or blind spot.

First priority is reliability. Which is why we are looking Toyota and not something like an Explorer or Traverse. The high resale is nice, too, if we do get rid of it before 8 to 10 years. Looking at LE Plus or XLE trim.

So, with the redesign of the 2020 Highlander set to hit lots in December, we are looking at getting a 2019 maybe during the holiday season when they should be on clearance. What should I know about the 2019 Highlanders? Common problems? Quirks (for example, and internal water pump like the Edge has, grrr)? Hard to do oil changes on?

Also possibly considering a 2020 Subaru Ascent, but those have the I4 boxer engine, CVT, and is a brand new vehicle so no deals to be had. Mazda CX-9 is also a consideration.

Thoughts?

Look up StevieC's posts on the Highlander before you pull the trigger. He offloaded his because the transmission drove him insane.

How many miles a day does she drive? An AWD EV may make sense if the range works with the commute. The Tesla Model 3 is available in that config (AWD) and is reasonably priced. The Audi E-Tron is another option, but priced a fair bit higher.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
We would actually be worse-off if we waited two years. It isn't until after that where we would start to come out ahead on the curve, and who knows what repairs we might needs (internal water pump failure, anyone?) and my wife would be driving a vehicle without AWD or blind spot.

Heaven's no! Is that even a thing?! I didn't think anyone could pilot a vehicle without those basic necessities!
shocked.gif

While you might be able to snag a 2019 this holiday season for a decent price, most will have been picked over so your getting only what others don't want.

Regardless, also consider the Korean offerings mentioned above. They are actually rated higher than GM and Toyota according to usnews.com
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/midsize-suvs

you do NOT need AWD or 4WD in most cases, BUT 4 real snow tires will actually do better on a front driver than AWD or 4WD with all season BUT winter tyres IMO + from experience + as tested by big name tyre sellers.

If considering AWD or 4WD, the Jeep Cherokee is a good choice. My wife has the 4WD one, which is basically a FWD with AWD on the rear wheels. It has been flawless. A lot of people talk smack about Jeep and they did have some issues with the first couple years with the new Cherokee, but for the price you'll be hard pressed to find something better. Most American made car too with the highest percentage of domestic parts. I'm kind of with you on Ford. Chrysler service is better. It actually seems like they try harder. What kind of issues are you having w/Ford?

Now is a good time to save some money on 2019 models from most manufacturers as they make way for the 2020's. CR-V, RAV4, and Forester would be my top picks, not necessarily in that order.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
We would actually be worse-off if we waited two years. It isn't until after that where we would start to come out ahead on the curve, and who knows what repairs we might needs (internal water pump failure, anyone?) and my wife would be driving a vehicle without AWD or blind spot.

Heaven's no! Is that even a thing?! I didn't think anyone could pilot a vehicle without those basic necessities!
shocked.gif

While you might be able to snag a 2019 this holiday season for a decent price, most will have been picked over so your getting only what others don't want.

Regardless, also consider the Korean offerings mentioned above. They are actually rated higher than GM and Toyota according to usnews.com

Yeah blind spot is one of those things I'd probably wouldn't use. Too used to checking my blind spot with a quick turn of the head. AWD is nice to have in the winter, otherwise you pay a 1-2mpg penalty for it year round.

If you're planning on 5 and done then perhaps Honda/Toyota make more sense, regardless of cost or serviceability. That said, I don't know what the actual depreciation rates are across the vehicles--I'd look into that. Not sure if the wife is going to want to flip after a few years--not saying Ford can't have decent trade-in, but, it really affects TCO.

This one we'll keep longer, maybe 7 or 8 years. That is typically how long we keep vehicles. This just seems to be a sweet spot for the vehicle still being worth something, and AWD would be nice for her to have for the roads she drives in the winter here. I have blind spot on my truck and love it, and think she would too. Highlander is the best depreciation in its class. But that isn't a deal breaker one way or another. But I don't want something that depreciates really rapidly, either, like the Korean brands.

We might check out Forester. I don't know (and neither does she) if she really needs a 3 row vehicle. We do have a crew cab pickup that we can use for the baby, dogs, and then cargo in back.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

shocked.gif

Yeah blind spot is one of those things I'd probably wouldn't use. Too used to checking my blind spot with a quick turn of the head. AWD is nice to have in the winter, otherwise you pay a 1-2mpg penalty for it year round.

The great? thing about blind spot, is it's activated on most vehicles as soon as you start the vehicle.
Therefore it becomes a tedious chore to shut off each and every time you start the car.

Agree on the AWD. As well as the additional maint. for fluid changes etc.
Unless you simply plan on trading it in once the warranty is up, then it's someone else's problem (most common).

Originally Posted by benjy
you do NOT need AWD or 4WD in most cases, BUT 4 real snow tires will actually do better on a front driver than AWD or 4WD with all season.

This!!!

I don't mean to make assumptions, but the first vehicles off the road in the snow are always AWD or 4x4. It gives them extra confidence and they all always end up outdriving their tires.

Front drivers on snow tires may not get moving as quickly as AWD or 4x4 on all seasons, but they sure as heck stop and turn MUCH better.

I got passed by a new Dodge Durango the other day, it looked cool in the mirror, it looked cool as it passed me and it looked cool from behind. The hemi's and 8 speed transmissions are now time tested. Plenty with well over 200k miles on them. The poor heat treated valve train components seem to finally have been used up and replaced by better parts. Cheaper possibly upfront cost over some of your choices. If you opt for the 3.6, those also pack plenty of punch and the bugs in them have been worked out with many examples over 200k miles. The toyota/Honda make sense for depreciation wise. My father has a brand new RAV4 hybrid that cost imo $$$. I am totally unimpressed, especially for the cost.

Put her in a Nissan Frontier. j/k.
crackmeup2.gif

I'd consider:
Mazda CX5/9
Toyota Rav4
CRV
Subaru Forester

In Wisconsin I'd certainly want AWD/4WD.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Front drivers on snow tires may not get moving as quickly as AWD or 4x4 on all seasons, but they sure as heck stop and turn MUCH better.

Stopping and turning don't really have anything to do with AWD or 4x4. That's more a function of the tire size, weight of vehicle and the brakes. Mercedes has a braking system where it'll cost you like 4k+ just for a brake job in terms of rotors and pads. And there used to be cars with 4 wheel steering, but I'm not sure those exist anymore.

I'd go Jeep or Suburu. I'd say new Explorer because they went back to RWD bias but you want to move on from Ford. Also, I never buy a completely new vehicle in its first year.

Originally Posted by joegreen
Hyundai palisade or kia telluride might be cool to check out.

+1 Go check one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back