Consequences of not adding make-up oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ken2
While the oil pickup is always covered and the engine never starved of oil, the oil has less time to lay in the pan and cool until it is pumped again through the engine. The remaining oil gets worked harder and exhausted sooner.

So I'm expecting slightly lower viscosity, lower TBN and possibly higher wear metals in my UOA. OK, at least I'm prepared for it. I'll share my UOA report when I get it and I'll remember to keep it topped off in the future.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
If you "barely got 4 quarts out of it", it probably had 4.5 quts in in, because you never get a complete drain. Might have even been closer to 5. Your engine DID NOT run dry. So, relax on this one, but just watch it closer going forward.

I wouldn't think he had more than 4.5 in there. I just did an oil change on the same engine and this is what my volumes were:

- Before draining the dipstick read between 5.5 and 6 quarts.

- Waste oil filled 5 x quart bottles to the neck. I had also taken a sample during draining, had a few spills and cut open the filter separately and that oil was mopped up with rags.

- Refilled with 5 quarts and reading was just below minimum on dipstick. Added a quart more and reached top of dipstick.

I've never quite understood the thoughts on large quantities remaining in the engine after an oil change. If 0.5 to 1 quart is left in the engine, wouldn't my new oil turn dark really quickly?

No worries... 4 quarts + is plenty..,

Yes, the remaining oil works a little harder, but many a modern V6 runs 4 to 5 quarts. My Honda Odyssey van with 3.5 liter V6 takes 4 quarts and a bit on a change. Still purrs after 120 000 miles...

When you remove the drain plug and a quart of black, chunky TAR comes out...

THEN worry...!

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I doubt that you will do an UOA if you wont even check your oil
If I am wrong I apolagize

It's already packaged up in the Blackstone container. Just need to get to the post office.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
I've never quite understood the thoughts on large quantities remaining in the engine after an oil change. If 0.5 to 1 quart is left in the engine, wouldn't my new oil turn dark really quickly?

Yeah, I think people greatly over-estimate the amount of oil remaining in the block after an oil change.

There is no way a full quart remains.

I didn't claim a full qt. remained. A half qt.? Yes, I would think so, easily.

Why? Do a test. Casually dump a qt. and then lay the bottle on its edge overnight. Then, invert and drain for an hour in a clean cup. The amount that comes out of the "empty" bottle will amaze you. Note thats with a smooth contoured bottle the oil runs out of.

Now, multiply that amount 5X, and then account for all the passageways and galleys in the engine where oil will collect.

0.5 - 1.0.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Probably the Duratec. It's 5.5 to 6 quarts.

Unless you are carving corners in the Taurus, you are probably fine.

The 3.0L Duratec drains oil from the heads better than the 2.5L version did. I think it deals with low oil levels better than the 2.5L Duratec.

IIRC, Ford added more oil return from the heads. The 2.5L could pump all the oil out of the sump into the heads faster than it would drain back when running the engine at higher RPMs. Combine high RPM operation with a long Right Hand Sweeper like a cloverleaf offramp and you could starve the bottom end for oil.

But you have the 3.0 and probably don't drive it like a rally car, so you'll likely be fine.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I don't think you hurt a thing. 4/6 quarts is probably plenty to keep the oil pickup happy unless you were pretending to be a NASCAR driver when the oil was stone cold.

Interesting that it has a 6 quart capacity, i thought all the 3.0s were 5 quarts like my Vulcan.

Yes that's the main potential problem of running a very low oil level, oil starvation, but I suspect the OP likely drives conservatively.

What I don't understand is why the OP can't periodically check the oil level when he's filling up with gas or is he not the one driving the car, perhaps his wife? He's changing his own oil which is a pretty time consuming dirty job?
I still remember the oil days before self serve gas stations when the attendant always asked to "check the oil"?

Ask my BIL. He has been through 5 engines in the 12 years I have known him. Never checks his oil and just keeps on driving. It's a standing joke at family functions. We call him the engine killer.

....asked my neighbor if he ever checked his Corolla's oil level under the hood...."never"....he changes the oil 3x/yr or 3k miles so I'd guess he's okay, but that'd be just a guess...

I don't like guessing with expensive machines...I check oil once a week at the same time I check water, brake and power steering levels....

....and have decided to keep the level above 1/2 way down the dipstick's "hashmark" between "L" and "F"...engine seems quieter when full of oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back