Consequences of constantly switching brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have for some reason or the other kept switching brands/viscosities ever since I bought my new car back in feb. Is there a problem I am looking at in the future? Shouldnt be but wanted to check..

no problems constantly switching. havoline deposit shield is not the same as their havoline equiline oil from ten years ago. same brand dino flavor

The biggest consequence is that you'll never develop a deep, satisfying, mature relationship this way. If you can't commit to a lubricant, you're going to die a lonely old man. Happy? Sure...happier than all the married saps out there, but, we want you to have the same lifestyle we have. So, pick an oil and stick with it...so you can be stymied, pigeon-holed, and hen-pecked like the rest of us married guys.

Quote:

The biggest consequence is that you'll never develop a deep, satisfying, mature relationship this way. If you can't commit to a lubricant, you're going to die a lonely old man. Happy? Sure...happier than all the married saps out there, but, we want you to have the same lifestyle we have. So, pick an oil and stick with it...so you can be stymied, pigeon-holed, and hen-pecked like the rest of us married guys.

That's a quote if I ever read one! Spot on!
smile.gif

I've used Havoline, Motorcraft, one OCI of M1, and Pennzoil dino and PP alternating one after the other since I got this Hyundai a year and a half and 50K back. I just did an OCI of 2 quarts Pennzoil Dino, and a half-quart of Pennzoil dino, one half of Havoline, one half of QS, all dino all on a PureOne filter that was used through the previous 7K PP run.

This OCI will hold me 4 or 5 K, and then I'm going to run an OCI of M1 0W20 for the winter with an M1 filter I was given awhile back. THAT I'll run to 8 or 10K. Only thing I hold myself to is a run of dino between Syn brand changes, but I doubt it matters.. You drain the old for a half hour while you drink a couple of brewskis, there's not enough left behind to mess with the chemistry of the new oil.

No, I'm not married. In that department, as in oil, I prefer variety..

With all this switching back and forth, maintaining a 4-7500 mile OCI, using my filters through 2OCI, my engine's completely varnish and sludge-free. Dipstick is like new, oil cap, cams, all like new after 50K. All these oils I've used are SM/GF4. In a DOHC, timing-belted fuel injected vehicle of the modern age, that's all you need to know.

Given how often the oil manufacturers change their blend, basestock, additive pack, even if you are sticking to a single label, you are, in fact switching continuously.

Quote:

Given how often the oil manufacturers change their blend, basestock, additive pack, even if you are sticking to a single label, you are, in fact switching continuously.

Bingo! Best answer so far! If you have a car for 15 years and use the exact same brand, you can't possibly expect that the formulation of that oil is going to stay identical the entire time.

Quote:

Good point!

I have two Subarus, a 2006 and an 07. On the 06 I mix, alternate, experiment, "play". The 07 has had nothing but Pennzoil Platinum 5-30. The 06 has 28,000 and the O7 has 49,000 miles, and the UOA results are indistiguishable. SO, on these two cars, it certainly appears not to matter...

Quote:

Maybe ExxonMobil will come out with an ad campaign: "What's the matter with you? Can't you handle a strong oil? If you can't make a commitment, you're not a real man!"

(That said, I've been playing the field for a few years too. Since stumbling across BITOG especially.)

Read a file about varnish that talked about topping off used oil with a different basestock possibly being a problem?

Since, for example my 6qt capacity truck can only drain 5qts out (leaving a qt.), every oil change has some sort of mixing with old oil going on. see if I can find the study so we can obsess about it, LOL pause.......................OK, look at item #'s 3 at top and bottom of report. http://www.clarustechnologies.com/fluid_intelligence/varnish.html

http://www.clarustechnologies.com/fluid_intelligence/varnish.html

Last edited:
Quote:

Read a file about varnish that talked about topping off used oil with a different basestock possibly being a problem?

Since, for example my 6qt capacity truck can only drain 5qts out (leaving a qt.), every oil change has some sort of mixing with old oil going on. see if I can find the study so we can obsess about it, LOL pause.......................OK, look at item #'s 3 at top and bottom of report. http://www.clarustechnologies.com/fluid_intelligence/varnish.html

http://www.clarustechnologies.com/fluid_intelligence/varnish.html

possibily ? not, varnish happens . engine oils are formulated to be interchanged.

Lonely man 0w-20. We are in this together.

Nah it doesn't matter. IMO. Oils are meant to be interchangeable as Steve said.

Doesnt matter. The Explorer I bought,had Kendall synthetic. Then switched to motorcraft,then to Mobil 1 synthetic,to Royal Purple to finally Amsoil
laugh.gif

Lets see here... I bought my car used at 6,000 miles. Changed oil with Pennzoil 5w30 (dino) till bout 15,000 miles. Then used Mobil 5w30 Full Synthetic for a while. I put in some Mobil 5w30 FS Exended now and then too. Around 25,000 miles I found BITOG and put in German Castrol 0w30. I've had that in on and off with Amsoil 5w30 Heavy Duty, Amsoil 5w30 ASL, and Amsoil 5w30 XL. Somewhere in there used Castrol 5w30 semi-synthetic. Around 90,000 miles I started using Amsoil 0w20 / 5w20 XL. At 106,000 miles I dumped in some Mobil 5000 Clean 5w20. Thinking of trying some Dino oil I've always wanted to try (Valvoline, Supertech, Lucas oil, and good ole yellow bottle).

My UOAs are PERFECT (least I think so). So there, that answer your question?
smile.gif

I used superflo, mobil 5000, castrol gtx, tropartic, quaker state, valvoline in my wife's old malibu. All were 5w30 or 10w30 with no ill effects. I changed oil pretty much on 4000 mile intervals. Used napa, bosch, stp filters. Never noticed a difference. Sold the car at about 100k and was running great when sold. Your not going to hurt a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back