Consensus on Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
The newer bottles only have 5-digits on them. You're right though, that bottle does look misleading. The last digit should be white with a black number
laugh.gif

Quote:

The other very consistent thing I see is bluesubie on every single one of the RP UOA threads, posting doubtful and pessimistic opinions. I think he is just biased against it no matter what.

Shearing is a problem, I will concede that - but I have seen M1 do it too in these motors. And yes, there are UOAs out there to prove that as well.

I don't have a problem with Royal Purple or any motor oil.

I have a problem with people not running the correct visocisty of oil for their application. Running an Energy Conserving oil in a modified WRX is not a particularly smart move IMO. Especially with the number of spun bearings on nasioc on 5W30. Unfortunately, noone does a UOA when they spin a bearing so nothing can be proven.

Just because the oil is showing good wear numbers, does it mean that you're fine running an oil that shears to a 20 grade? Will a 20 grade oil provide proper film strength in a turbo charged car? I don't know. I'm not a tribologist. Why take a chance? A lot of EC oils shear in turbo applications. Syntec 5W30, M1 xW30, etc.

Since I've owned Subaru's in 1997, the oil information has changed very little from my 2.2 n/a Outback Sport to the 2.5 turbo. 5W30 is preferred for fuel economy, and the following oils are acceptable in high temps and severe conditions: 10W30, 10W40, 20W50, 30W, 40W. 5W30 is on the cap but a lot of people miss the part that says "See Manual".

-Dennis

Here is a Royal Purple 5W40 UOA. I would not use the 5W30, but if you want to try Royal Purple give the 5W40 a shot. My engine is still fairly new so it shows higher wear in the UOA. I'm approaching 22,000 miles now even though my weekend trips have ended. I was going to do a 3,000 mile UOA on it, but have decided it would be redundant. Instead I will do a 6,000 mile UOA and particle count at my 24,000 mile OCI.
assimilation.gif
assimilation.gif
assimilation.gif

Xw20 oils are getting better all the time, but are not a "cure-all"... YET!

Their gear oil is awesome stuff! I have Max Gear 75W90 in my rear differential and it`s smooth and silent! M1 gear oil made it whine slightly.

I love M1 motor oil,but I love RP gear oil. I`ve been running M1 15W50 year round. I may give RP 15W40 a try on my next OCI for my winter fill (our winters are usually in the 70s most of the time).

I have read good and not so good looking reports on the stuff. But once read a post by Terry I believe where he said it was good. Enough said for me it should be fine. Might be a Redline like thing where it cleans ---- out for a while (my speculation).

If you like feeding your engine Barney fine. Heck Down with Barney anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back