Consensus on Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody, I'm a new poster here, but I've been reading bitog for a while. I have a question about the use of Royal Purple. I cant seem to find much information in the community about this oil peoples experience with it. I'm trying to figure out how the community feels about it and any experiences with it. My application is a modded Suburu WRX 2.0l, which produces about 300 bhp. I really want to give this high output motor the best chances for longevity at these power levels.

And a little history - this is my second motor. The stock motor blew a rod bearing 2000 miles after using Mobil 1 5w30. The car was running stock power at the time. So I will not use that every again in a Subaru. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

People either love RP or hate it. Check out the UOA forum. I know guys that like it for their turbo engines..

M1 DID NOT make your motor blow.....Gezzzz
pat2.gif

Quote:

pat2.gif

I agree. There was VERY likely a part/manufacturing defect that caused the failure, especially at that low mileage.

I personally am not a fan of RP and would never, ever, use it. I'd rather use $2 a bottle Havoline, even if the RP was also $2 a bottle. Check out the RP UOAs on here. Most of them are not great, especially when you consider the price. As noted above, people either love it or hate it; I'm in the latter. Please compare the reasons that people love it, which is usually something subjective like "it worked good" or "never had a problem" vs. the reasons people hate it "bad UOA" or "performed worse than a $2 oil". I think most of the UOAs speak for themselves and offer a somewhat more objective view of the oil's performance.

Use the 5W40 if you want to use RP. I've seen three xW30 RP UOA's on nasioc. One was excellent and in two cases the oil sheared to a 20 viscosity oil pretty quickly (one at 1,100 miles). Not what you want for bearing protection, IMHO.

Just don't run an Energy Conserving oil in a modded WRX. That's my
twocents.gif

-Dennis

Quote:

pat2.gif

Lol, yeah I get that a lot. I never said it did. What I said was I had a bearing failure after I used and I wont use it again.

Getting back to the topic - I have examined a few UOAs with RP, although they were not using the OEM weight. Honestly they didnt come back bad that I could see - in fact they didnt look much different from other UOAs. Can you provide a link to a bad UOA for RP?

There really isn't a "bad" oil on the market, lets be clear about that. However, some are over hyped and not as good as others.

Royal Purple has a few good oils, but most are their racing line. I haven't seen any data on here to say RP is any better than any other good synthetic oil. In fact, I believe Mobil 1 is a better oil than RP all things considered.

Royal Purple tends to shear out of grade which could lead to the smallest hp increase, at the expense of engine protection. It's also overpriced.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

pat2.gif

Can you provide a link to a bad UOA for RP?

Sent you a PM with a link.

-Dennis

I read your PM and examined the UOAs in the links. What I am seeing on these reports is that the results are always favorable.. even in a few cases where shearing occured. Not one of these reports is conclusive in that premature or abnormal wearing occured. In fact Blackstone complemented every time on a "nice wearing Suburu" with the RP, and in other reports, recommended longer drain intervals because the engine was in such good shape.

The other very consistent thing I see is bluesubie on every single one of the RP UOA threads, posting doubtful and pessimistic opinions. I think he is just biased against it no matter what.

Shearing is a problem, I will concede that - but I have seen M1 do it too in these motors. And yes, there are UOAs out there to prove that as well.

So is there a oil with practical and historical use in these motors that isnt prone to shearing? It seems like everytime somebody asks this, no matter which one is recommeded theres a group of naysayers who accuse it of losing viscosity.

Only the RP 5w30 has shown consistent shearing. The 10w30 has held up well and there are some UOAs that show 5w30 taking a beating and still performing fantastic in a supercharged Mustang.

Your engine did not destruct due to Mobil 1. There was something else wrong.

However, I have have had several clients' compressors destruct from RP over time. Different type of rotating machinery, but my clients fell for the salespitch.

omg! why do you people keep putting words in my mouth? I never said my engine destructed because of M1!!!

What I said was I had a bearing failure 2000 miles after using M1 and I wont use it again IN A SUBARU. Thats the whole purpose of this thread! Im looking for an alternative!

Maybe I shouldnt be using this forum? So far in my very first thread, I have encountered biased naysayers who say RP is junk without the evidence of a "bad" UOA, and several others who are jumping to conclusions. Let me make this clear, none of you are informed enough on the history of this vehicle to be jumping to conclusions, because I havent privileged you with all of the facts. Why you ask? Because its not relevant. You dont need to understand why my bearing failed in motor that died over a year ago. That is not why I posted here. I posted because I was simply asking a question. All I want is some info about alternatives to M1. Thats it. Period. End of story.

gawd.

That will get you some answers. Sorry we are not important enough to be privileged with all the pertinent information. And your thread title is asking about RP, not M1 alternatives.

I would imagine that is this point a fairly appropriate answer to your question is "Every oil that is not Mobil 1 is an alternative to Mobil 1". After all, we aren't privileged enough even though several folks have given some good replies based upon limited information.

If you are really wanting to know of viable alternative oil choices, don't label the thread RP. Use a title that considers what you really want to know such as "oil recommendation for modded Subaru WRX".

You imply in your 1st post that Mobil 1 might have had something to do with the motor failure. A good oil probably can't be recommended w/o learning why the rod bearing failed. It may be irrelevant such as improper oil level, but we dont' know that until you tell us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back