ConocoPhillips Kendall/Motorcraft/TropArc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it pretty much the same formula for each I'm wondering? All are semi-synthetic with a mix of GroupII & III oils and their MC is quite good, scoring well in UOAs, I hear...

My mother's Ford Taurus needs changing (1999 or 2000, I forget which, 24v ), and I don't have a manual but think it "prefers" 5W-30, but allows for 10W-30 to be used in warmer weather. I also hear it may have been "back-spec'd" for 5W-20 (I'm so confused).
smile.gif

I'm looking at forking over just under $10 for a 5qt jug of Motorcraft 5W-20/5W-30 "semi-synthetic" or $2.07 (which actually seems like a bargin) or buying Kendall GT-1 "semi-synthetic" on sale for either $1.19/qt. or $.79/qt with a rebate... (an even bigger bargin!) I haven't seen Philips66 TropArc around here for ages (Target used to carry it in the Buffalo area, but has long since stopped).

Mom gets only the best, so what do you think?

Pony-up for the real-deal, the MC 10w-30 or 5w-30 for winter. Run it for 6 months if she drives under 6000 mi. A done-deal. PS get the MC filter too.
The Kendall is worth a look if it is SM.

Oh yeah, she only drives 8000 a year...

Kendall is indeed SM, and I sometimes wonder if ConocoPhillips is like Duff beer in that "Simpson's'" episode where Homer visits the brewery only to find that Duff Lite, Duff Dark, Duff, Duff Summer ale, etc., all came from the same barrels...

The tests Amsoil did on MC and TA showed MC out perform TA over those tests. You may not consider MC's better performance to be worth the 50 cents per qt premium at WM but there is a difference.

I doubt there's any significant difference between the various CP brands, even when compared to Motorcraft - and what "differences" Amsoil found could be subject to differing production runs. I'd put more credence in independent testing, anyway, over that of a corporate entity which also markets its own line of lube products. The CP brands tend to be regionally distributed, though WalMart bucks that marketing paradigm by carrying TropArtic nationally. In the end, believe what you wish and pay what you're comfortable with. ConcocoPhillips will happily accept your money, regardless.

"The CP brands tend to be regionally distributed, though WalMart bucks that marketing paradigm by carrying TropArtic nationally."
======================================================

Ray, I really haven't seen it in Wally's around here.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
The CP brands tend to be regionally distributed, though WalMart bucks that marketing paradigm by carrying TropArtic nationally.

I have never seen Trop Arctic in New England in any Walmart...for that matter I've never seen it anywhere around here. Only MC and Big Lots carries Kendall GT-1 Semi Synth.

Goose
patriot.gif

Why is there an assumption that one oil company only makes one dino or in Conoco's case one blend. Chevron and Havoline vary some. SOPUS has differences in its Shell, Penn brands it expects you to pay for.

79 cent Kendall, Woo Hoo
fruit.gif
. I'm sure Mom's car will be more than happy with a spring and fall change of Kendall. I found one place so far out west here that carries Kendall for 2.25-2.50 a quart dependant on grade, so I run MC 5w20 and T/A 5w30 at the Wally World prices.

quote:

Originally posted by ImaginThat:
79 cent Kendall, Woo Hoo
fruit.gif
. I'm sure Mom's car will be more than happy with a spring and fall change of Kendall. I found one place so far out west here that carries Kendall for 2.25-2.50 a quart dependant on grade, so I run MC 5w20 and T/A 5w30 at the Wally World prices.

A regional hardware store called Value puts Kendall GT1 semi-synth on sale once a month and offers the additional rebate. I've also seen it at AutoZone and Carquest here, for significantly more...

My local BigLots doesn't carry any oil lately though.
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back