Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Keto
Maybe, one day, I'll start using Mobil1 oil again... but not until their pricing is competitive again, and theyre a bit more open & honest about their specs.
They are not dishonest about their spects, they just don't reveil them, much like everyone else. As far as priceing goes, they charge a little more because their base oil is composed of more expensive POAs than the other easily purchased oil.

Last edited:
Quote:

can't forget that debauchery.

To put this in perspective, one comedian noted that the ship was being piloted by the Third Mate. Pretty bad, considering Gillian was a First Mate.

Quote:
They hired several disabled people at her store that wouldn't have a prayer of a job elsewhere.

I've noticed this at a few Walmarts that I have gone to.

One Walmart I shop at has a disabled woman about 60 years old at the entrance of the tire / lube center in a wheelchair greeting customers. I'm guessing they pay her $10 an hour (all retail jobs are low paying) but its nice to see Walmart hire disabled people.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Quote:
They hired several disabled people at her store that wouldn't have a prayer of a job elsewhere.

I've noticed this at a few Walmarts that I have gone to.

One Walmart I shop at has a disabled woman about 60 years old at the entrance of the tire / lube center in a wheelchair greeting customers. I'm guessing they pay her $10 an hour (all retail jobs are low paying) but its nice to see Walmart hire disabled people.

One employee at our WM had a deformed face that was so bad that I'm sure no other co. would have hired him. Bless his heart he hung in there for a long time. And bless WM for hireing him.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: wannafbody
WM probably wouldn't have gotten so big if Kmart had been run more effectively by it's executives. I'd consider Target another successful retailer.

Not really..Kmart never had the buying power WM had....

Kmart existed well before WalMart ever became big. WalMart has a very efficient inventory system. They also twist the arms of their suppliers more than other companies. I will give them props for hiring those with disabilities.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Originally Posted By: tig1
XM and Wal Mart are the few good AMERICAN sucess stories these days.

So true. Ethics, that's another story.

AD

Ethics in a global economy are a different story.

Max, Would it please you if XM and WM went out of business. My wife worked at WM for a while and spoke highly of the co. They hired several disabled people at her store that wouldn't have a prayer of a job elsewhere.

Wal-Mart isnt stupid. They don't love and cherish the disabled, they use them for PR by slapping them right in front of everyone to see as greeters. "Use them for PR, thats ourageous!"
Well, you're using that same PR to tout WM's greatness, arent you? That's effective if you ask me.

Quote:

You are correct that there are buseness that fold after WM arrived, but that happens sorry to say. Same thing happened when Auto Zone came to town. They put two or three small parts stores out of business.
Lots of different ways to look at it.

Oh, not only that but the world's largest retailer doesn't support the American mnufacturer putting them out of business in favour of Chinese slave labour. The slave labourers suffer and the US manufacturing sector suffers, who wins? The Walton's offshore bank account and an appearance in Fortune500 as the most profitable corporation? The consumer who was just put out of work at a blow moulding or textile factory and now has to work at WalMart for minimum wage?

Mark888, unlike you I dont need a personal vested interest in a cause to fight for it, it just needs to be the right thing to do. But I'm sure other Canadians on this forum will appreciate that comment.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

can't forget that debauchery.

To put this in perspective, one comedian noted that the ship was being piloted by the Third Mate. Pretty bad, considering Gillian was a First Mate.

Wow, is that really true???
shocked2.gif
That is bad, negligence at it's finest.

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
Mark888, unlike you I dont need a personal vested interest in a cause to fight for it, it just needs to be the right thing to do. But I'm sure other Canadians on this forum will appreciate that comment.

Your crusade against large American companies is becoming more clear as the motive behind your posts.

I don't think most Canadians harbor ill-will to toward the US, but in your case it is rather obvious.

Originally Posted By: Mark888

Your crusade against large American companies is becoming more clear as the motive behind your posts.

I don't think most Canadians harbor ill-will to toward the US, but in your case it is rather obvious.

your desperate attempt to twist my words is making you look pathetic at best.

Max, Would it please you if XM and WM went out of business. My wife worked at WM for a while and spoke highly of the co. They hired several disabled people at her store that wouldn't have a prayer of a job elsewhere.

Wal-Mart isn't stupid. They don't love and cherish the disabled, they use them for PR by slapping them right in front of everyone to see as greeters. "Use them for PR, thats ourageous!"
Well, you're using that same PR to tout WM's greatness, arent you? That's effective if you ask me.

Quote:

You are correct that there are buseness that fold after WM arrived, but that happens sorry to say. Same thing happened when Auto Zone came to town. They put two or three small parts stores out of business.
Lots of different ways to look at it.

Oh, not only that but the world's largest retailer doesn't support the American mnufacturer putting them out of business in favour of Chinese slave labour. The slave labourers suffer and the US manufacturing sector suffers, who wins? The Walton's offshore bank account and an appearance in Fortune500 as the most profitable corporation? The consumer who was just put out of work at a blow moulding or textile factory and now has to work at WalMart for minimum wage?

In fairness WM and other american businesses didn't start importing from China until after our government started encouraging opening China to trade. The same story with Mexico. If our government hadn't passed NAFTA we'd have more US manufacturing jobs today.

Sure WM and other big box stores may put some small businesses out of business. That is unfortunate. But in there defense when WM opens a store many retailers build stores nearby.

Unfortunately the small corner stores no longer exist. A lot of that has to do with small town mainstreets becoming ghost towns due to loss of manufacturing jobs-especially in the rust belt.

I read recently that NONE of the top 10 retailers in 1960 exist today.

Last edited:
The concept that a mass retailing company considering supporting a specific political manufacturing sector is ludicrous. The job of a retailer is to sell a wide variety of products that appeal to retail consumers as the mass merchant is the front line of retail consumption. WalMart did not start the concept of mass merchandising. I worked for SS Kresge at the time they were in transision to Kmart. This was in the late 1960's and the company vision was to create giant "all uner one roof" mass retailing centers where consumers could "one stop shop" for all of their household needs. This idea was championed by the Kmart CEO H.B Cunningham who started with the company as a stockboy at age 15.

Harry Cunningham was an extraordinary guy and very successful executive. He didn't build Kmart to "run small business into bakruptcy" but to offer consumers better service at better prices. Harry had JC Penny & Sears in his sights. Sam Walton had Kmart in his sights. Kmart was global back then as we sold lots of products from all over the world. (1969)

So, the whole "WalMart is evil" thing is just a complete lie. Are they a tough competitor? Sure...they had to be to gain ground against Harry Cunningham.

Last edited:
They are not dishonest about their spects, they just don't reveil them, much like everyone else. As far as priceing goes, they charge a little more because their base oil is composed of more expensive POAs than the other easily purchased oil.

We'll agree to disagree. By 'specs' I dont mean basic PDS or MSDS or the such. I do mean getting the run-around for general information, etc. If it werent for Japanese MSDS sheets, probably would have never have known about the heavy Group III mixing, etc. I find it ridiculous they arent up-front about that kind of thing, so they dont get my business any more.

I've talked to Penz/QS, Valvoline, Shell - no run-around, very informative, and no covering up.

Originally Posted By: Keto
We'll agree to disagree. By 'specs' I dont mean basic PDS or MSDS or the such. I do mean getting the run-around for general information, etc. If it werent for Japanese MSDS sheets, probably would have never have known about the heavy Group III mixing, etc. I find it ridiculous they arent up-front about that kind of thing, so they dont get my business any more.

I've talked to Penz/QS, Valvoline, Shell - no run-around, very informative, and no covering up.

The M1 FAQ questions on their website makes it pretty clear that M1 is not 100% PAO. In direct response to a question on the FAQ about PAO, they said M1 has PAO, but when asked about 100% they did not affirm that, so it was pretty obvious what that means, and I don't see any deception. Considering that different grades have different percentages of PAO, and that their formula is proprietary and changes form time to time, I don't think you can ask them for specific percentages. If they were trying to deceive people, they would not have posted that question and answer on their website.

Valvoline handles the question pretty much the same way on their FAQ, but they don't even claim to have any PAO (completely dodge the PAO question).

There are probably some oils with more PAO than M1, but I am not sure there are any 100% PAO/Ester oils anymore, especially since they seem to have a problem with being starburst certified as energy saving formulas.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
WM probably wouldn't have gotten so big if Kmart had been run more effectively by it's executives. I'd consider Target another successful retailer.

Not really..Kmart never had the buying power WM had....

Kmart existed well before WalMart ever became big. WalMart has a very efficient inventory system. They also twist the arms of their suppliers more than other companies. I will give them props for hiring those with disabilities.

Yep, I know...I live close to the first Kmart ever opened. Problem with the K is that they never tried to improve what they did to their chain...most of the major changes have been recent.

We do have a few good stores around here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back