Congratulations to the child of the Sun - what an Indy race! (Helio Castroneves)

Whoa what a race, and so many records! Helio Castroneves delivered a lot of drama!

Tied for most wins - 4 - Unser, Mears, Foyt, now Castroneves
Almost the oldest winner ever - 46 vs. Foyt at 47 (almost 48)
One of the youngest winners ever - 26 (vs a 22 year old back in '52)
Biggest stretch between wins - 21 years (Foyt held the record at 17)

Also he won it his rookie year in 2001 for Penske. Penske let him go as "too old" recently and then he wipes the record books. Awesome.

Fantastic race. He didn't walk away with this, either. He earned it. Just a great race.

It was! Many great stories within the race. Series is very strong right now.

Scott

That's what my dad said. He watches more Nascar now than Indy but he was floored by how good this race was (his roots are in Indy, though).

We grew up with Indy racing - I grew up just on the Indiana side of Louisville, Kentucky so the Derby and Indy were just life-blood. My grandfather helped the local ABC affiliate install the first TV cameras on the track in the late 40s/early 50s. He'd been in radar in the Navy in the pacific in WWII and then TV tech after that. He had a "lifetime" pass to the race. My dad's family/they lived in Indy then ( late 40s into 50s). He went to some trials and races with his dad in the 50s; he was there as a little kid in '55 in the terrible Bill Vukovich crash, he saw it from the stands. Personally I went to some time trials as a kid w/my dad in the 70s, but never saw a race live. I have been out of it a while and definitely chose the RIGHT season to get back into it.

Partly that's why Castroneves stepping up to the ranks of Foyt, Mears, Unser is so awesome - I watched those guys race on TV and saw them (briefly) in trials, so him joining those ranks is so great. I have a very distinct memor of watching some time trials as a kid in like '81 and Mears' yellow Pennzoil setting a trial speed record (I was a kid, may be a little off). There was some crazy great racing around then. Anyway - people have waited decades for something like this. Also really awesome to watch it w/my dad (mid 70s now) and have him tell childhood memories of the track from almost 70 years ago.

This is one of those sporting moments you will never forget if you saw it live, and if not so lucky, you will still hear about it as it will be told for a long time in stories or print.

BTW, SLO and PB are two of my favorite places in CA, lucky you! Took a long, slow week drive from LA to SF one November in the 90s and they've had my heart ever since.

Last edited:
I like Indy again with turbo, like F1....just amazed by both. Fan for sure.

Last edited:
A fantastic race that couldn't have been scripted much better.

Both had speed, but experience prevailed over youth today. However, the next generation of stars has clearly arrived.

Six different winners in six races this season. Those who don't notice IndyCar are missing out.

A fantastic race that couldn't have been scripted much better.

Both had speed, but experience prevailed over youth today. However, the next generation of stars has clearly arrived.

Six different winners in six races this season. Those who don't notice IndyCar are missing out.

100% yes, you are correct. I kept saying "who's that?" a lot of the race because I was out of touch. Some amazing talent and tech here.

Rando San Francisco street scene a few years ago you might like:

Three years ago, my birthday took a trip. Walking down Russian Hill and this came literally roaring down at 70/80mph. Like a scene out of Bullitt. barely got my phone up to snap this. It got a little air off these tracks (look how the rear suspension is loaded - this thing was MOVING - not just cruising past). I was like, "Did they stage this for me?" No clue what was going on but someone was having fun...

Yes that's the original Swenson's Ice Cream from the '40s. Absolutely no clue what this street race was about but I was randomly standing there slack-jawed and had enough warning to get my phone up to snap a pic.

IMG-0199 (1).jpg

Last edited:
100% yes, you are correct. I kept saying "who's that?" a lot of the race because I was out of touch. Some amazing talent and tech here.

Rando San Francisco street scene a few years ago you might like:

Three years ago, my birthday took a trip. Walking down Russian Hill and this came literally roaring down at 70/80mph. Like a scene out of Bullitt. barely got my phone up to snap this. It got a little air off these tracks (look how the rear suspension is loaded - this thing was MOVING - not just cruising past). I was like, "Did they stage this for me?" No clue what was going on but someone was having fun...

Yes that's the original Swenson's Ice Cream from the '40s. Absolutely no clue what this street race was about but I was randomly standing there slack-jawed and had enough warning to get my phone up to snap a pic.

View attachment 58865
Flat-back Stang ❤️

Back