Confusion over whether Lufthansa had banned powered AirTags (or similar devices) in checked luggage

I guess the cynic in me says they don’t want to be embarrassed when luggage is lost. They’re claiming that when powered in, they violate ICAO rules on lithium batteries.

The FAA specifically says that Bluetooth devices are allowed to be powered on US domestic flights

Wow, perfect timing, my adult daughter returned from a vacation in CA to her home in NC.
At the airport the luggage never turned up on the turnstile but there was a another luggage that looked just like hers that no one claimed and it was just going around and around.
She got an alert on her iPhone from her AirTag and location showed it on the nearby interstate traveling ... to a home address 45 minutes away.
I don't know the result yet.

Wow, perfect timing, my adult daughter returned from a vacation in CA to her home in NC.
At the airport the luggage never turned up on the turnstile but there was a another luggage that looked just like hers that no one claimed and it was just going around and around.
She got an alert on her iPhone from her AirTag and location showed it on the nearby interstate traveling ... to a home address 45 minutes away.

I remember years ago when a lot of airports gated off domestic luggage carousels and even had security to check for matching claim checks. But it’s been a while.

I remember years ago when a lot of airports gated off domestic luggage carousels and even had security to check for matching claim checks. But it’s been a while.
Yes, wow, I remember that too, that was a long time ago for sure. I kind of remember when they stopped doing that at Kennedy and Laguardia decades ago, I was taken back, stuck in my mind like, wow anyone can walk away with your luggage.

I still dont know if they made contact with the people. When she told my wife and I on the phone we were all kind of laughing because in a way it was funny. The technology.
She is looking at her phone at the turnstile and its showing the air tag on the interstate near the airport. *LOL*
Once the AirTag arrived at its destination it gave the address. I actually then looked it up online, got the name of the people living there, heck, even got the age of the guy at the address and a phone number. I dont know if she tired the phone # yet. Sometimes that info is outdated. My wife texted her hasn't heard back yet.
Knowing my daughter, she will take her time addressing this, chances are again knowing her, anything valuable was with her and I even question if she would spend 45 minutes each way to get it. Will see.

Its a great aid, we even have one on our dogs collar.

Last edited:
I don't think they will be able to tell if you have an air tag in your luggage anyway. Air tags are becoming ubiquitous and they will have to deal with reality and (oh no) do a little extra work when it comes to looking for luggage and having customers embarrass them.

I don't think they will be able to tell if you have an air tag in your luggage anyway. Air tags are becoming ubiquitous and they will have to deal with reality and (oh no) do a little extra work when it comes to looking for luggage and having customers embarrass them.

All luggage is subject to random search, although who does it may be an issue. If they really wanted to know, there are "sniffers" that can monitor for radio transmission. But that in and of itself isn't what Lufthansa is claiming is the issue. It's the lithium-metal battery, which ostensibly isn't allowed in checked-in baggage. I think the idea is that as carry-on, if there's a fire it's easier to attend to.

There might be different ways to do this where lithium batteries aren't used. Maybe a larger device using NiMH or alkaline batteries. I'm thinking a large silver oxide cell could probably do the trick.

So funny you say this.

A few years ago after a tiring flight to Paris, I accidentally grabbed the wrong hiking pack off the turnstile. This was IDENTICAL to mine, literally the same make, model, and capacity. I just grabbed and went. As I hit the security door I heard a woman shout out behind me, weird I thought as my wife was right next to me (maybe I walked a little too fast for her), so I turned around in a confused state and see these two women heading in my direction holding a bag in their hand.

"I'm pretty sure you have my bag." As I start to take the bag off my back to double check I instinctively shake my head no, because of course there's no way I'm that big of an idiot, and as I go to say something I see the name on the tag. Certainly not my name, and much better hand writing. I cover my mouth in disbelief and immediately apologize profusely. The four of us share a laugh and sigh of relief. The situation may have looked a lot more nefarious had my wife not been with me, anyone watch Hostel?

As my wife and I get in the taxi, I start to laugh at the further realization that had that woman not realized the bag she was carrying was heavier than hers, I would have been in Europe for three weeks with no clothes. I'm a boxer guy, not sure I could have swung thongs for three weeks.

Back