Confusing sponsorship

In watching the Atlanta NASCAR race on Sunday, I noticed the Motorcraft car also carrying Quaker State logos. So, what were they actually using? I think the engines for the Wood Bros. are built for them by Penske who uses Pennzoil. Unlike Mobil and Valvoline, I don't see them offer a race product on their websites. As QS and Penn are Shell companies as it's all Helix 10/60

Shhhh, don't tell anyone.... "Quick Lane Tire and Auto Center" doesn't work on that car either.

As mentioned above, this is all advertising / marketing and has nothing to do with the actual vehicles. The Motorcraft car isn't a Mustang either. Sure it has some plastic and carbon fiber pieces that mimic that car's look but that's it.

Isn't Pennzoil and Quaker State the same parent company?

That was my understanding. IIRC that’s how the World of Outlaws lost Pennzoil sponsorship years ago when the 2 companies merged / bought out. What’s not clear to me is how Shell entered the mix. 🤷‍♂️

Just my $0.02

OK, well they used to: Raybestos, Monroe, Champion spark plug, et
If you go back about 15 or 20 years, all the Cup cars had the same collection of small decals on the sides of the car. These decals were for companies like you mention above. These were NASCAR Cup series sponsors and each car was required to have them, whether or not they used the product.

Someone a few years back had an ED product sponsorship. There were some good jokes going around that I can't remember. The free sample box in the hauler was probably always empty. ;)
That was Mark Martin in the Roush Ford, who BTW was the best driver to never win a Cup series championship. He finished second in the championship FIVE times. Mark was an elite driver (40 wins, 56 poles, 453 top 10s), but he would never dream of punting someone from behind so he could win the race. I'm sure this attitude cost him at least two or three Championships, but I always respected him for it. IMO, Mark Martin was an exceptional man. I loved that guy. I was thrilled when he was inducted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame in 2017.

Scott

Mark Martin.jpg

Last edited:
That was my understanding. IIRC that’s how the World of Outlaws lost Pennzoil sponsorship years ago when the 2 companies merged / bought out. What’s not clear to me is how Shell entered the mix. 🤷‍♂️

Just my $0.02
Shell bought out Pennzoil-Quaker State Co. in it's entirety. They've called all the shots in everything, including racing programs, since 2004.

If you go back about 15 or 20 years, all the Cup cars had the same collection of small decals on the sides of the car. These decals were for companies like you mention above. These were NASCAR Cup series sponsors and each car was required to have them, whether or not they used the product.

That was Mark Martin in the Roush Ford, who BTW was the best driver to never win a Cup series championship. He finished second in the championship FIVE times. Mark was an elite driver (40 wins, 56 poles, 453 top 10s), but he would never dream of punting someone from behind so he could win the race. I'm sure this attitude cost him at least two or three Championships, but I always respected him for it. IMO, Mark Martin was an exceptional man. I loved that guy. I was thrilled when he was inducted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame in 2017.

Scott

View attachment 107691

My favorite all time driver! Just I nice all around guy. I was very brand loyal using Valvoline in everything I owned. I switched to Castrol when they left as a sponsor. Needless to say I wasn’t as brand loyal on the next sponsorship being in my early 20’s 🤣

Just my $0.02

FWIW all of the Ford FR9 engines in Cup and Xfinity are build by Roush-Yates. The Chevrolet R07 engines are built by either Hendrick or RCR/ECR, although they are working together now. All of the Toyota engines in Cup are built by TRD. There are some outliers in Cup, the 55 and 66 cars list using engines from MBM Motorsports and the 96 Gaunt Brothers car shows their engines are built by Triad, but the GBR team has not made any races this year.
There are more builders in the Xfinity series per the chart on Jayski.
The Truck series uses the Ilmor NT-1 engine which is an LS based engine with a 396ci displacement.

Back