Confusing Milwaukee tool ad

Look at this item on Amazon. Very similar to a Milwaukee tool. Says another company under "Brand". But in the description it says "This Milwaukee".

Is any part of this Milwaukee?

Generic for Milwaukee 2323-21 M12 12V 360 Cordless M-Spector 4' Inspection Camera
https://a.co/d/gKoEz7o

They have seen similar listings for other Milwaukee tools that that say "fits Milwaukee" or "for Milwaukee". These are the type of listings I would expect on eBay and not Amazon.

In this case I would trust Home Depot to sell a real Milwaukee tool. And it's the same or less at HD.

As you pointed out, "for Milwaukee" is a good indication the seller is avoiding a statement it is a Milwaukee product. Also:

• The button configuration is different than shown on Milwaukee's site;
  • The views of the product carefully avoid capturing the top of the device, where the Milwaukee logo is found on the genuine product;
  • The Milwaukee logo is conspicuously absent from the carrying case.
I'm sure there are more indicators, but it's a fake.

Amazon is full of stuff like this across the board.

There are a few knockoffs that are interesting, like a Dewalt to Milwaukee battery adapter, or vice versa.

No reviews. The brand is listed as 'Generic' and the manufacturer is given as 'DIDADIDAY' The text that you quoted is copy-and-pasted from Milwaukee's own description as given on the Home Depot site.

I'm not surprised.

Amazon is not an authorized Milwaukee dealer.

Authorized Milwukee dealers are not supposed to sell Milwaukee products on Amazon and Ebay.

None of this is new.

The cordial Nigerian prince that requests your assistance by email is also fake.

For that price, you would think it would be genuine Milwaukee. But nothing looks right. I'm surprised the ad hasn't been reported to Amazon as being fake merchandise.

I'm surprised the ad hasn't been reported to Amazon as being fake merchandise.

People shouldn't assume Amazon is any safer, or more vigilant than any other marketplace (eBay, Aliexpress, etc.) about the authenticity and quality of their listings.

Especially when it has long been lax about the quality of its review system, and has been slow to remove known questionable, or dangerous products from its own listings.

Third-party marketplaces are big business, which is why Amazon, Walmart, and others have made it a part of their sites.

Marketplace sales have overtaken Amazon's own sales, and make up more than half of the share.

What Amazon does get you is easy, low-friction customer service, and the comfort that they'll probably be willing do what's necessary to placate the customer, and eat whatever loss is involved if something is unexpected, or goes wrong, provided it's within their terms.

The terms it forces its third-party sellers to accept does result in policies that are friendlier than average to buyers, but a better safety net only protects from accidents after they occur, it doesn't prevent them.

And Amazon protects itself through the fees it charges to sellers who want to tap into the large customer base it hosts, which can make it hard for even legit sellers to do business.

eBay may not reach the same level of service, and places like Aliexpress are very much buyer beware, and not for the timid, because whatever level of customer service they offer is going to require some sort of hassle, at the least, and far from certain they'll side with the buyer.