confused? dealer oil change conflicts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
'18 Dodge Journey; 2.4 I-4; 4-speed auto; 3015 miles on odometer...factory fill & oil filter out; dealership 5w-20 'synthetic blend' & mopar oem replacement filter in...guessing oil is a SOPUS product; in a prior conversation the service manager told me he doesn't recommend running the oci based on olm unless it is full synthetic oil...the reminder sticker suggests an oci of 7000 miles or February 2020; this is where my confusion lies...would any of you push a synthetic blend out to 7000 miles? I don't feel good about taking a conventional past 4000-4500 mile oci & often get it changed between 3750-4000 miles...

what would y'all do for an oci mileage interval with 5w-20 synblend & mopar oem filter?

It depends on your highway/city driving ratio. If 80% of your driving is on the highway....then a syn blend is fine....not sure about the filter tho. See what the OLM says after 7000 miles.

I would put less faith in what the service manager or reminder sticker says, and instead go by what the manual tells you.

Originally Posted by heynow
I would put less faith in what the service manager or reminder sticker says, and instead go by what the manual tells you.

Exactly, I'd not even bother listening to the SM for service advice, they just want to take as much money as possible from you.

It is a Chrysler engine. I wouldn't run any oil past 3 months on that piece of junk. Try to extend its life as much as possible by babying it.

Just remember that the OEM is under pressure from the EPA to reduce waste and the monitoring system is not that reliable to make your vehicle last past the warranty. IMO I would drop the oil at 5K intervals and not push your luck with a major repair. There is a FORD guy on youtube and these are his suggestions to keep your vehicle running strong https://youtu.be/WaPJJ3hUHN0?t=487 (watch the entire video); regardless of auto manufacturer, this is solid advice.

Another thing.... since the vehicle is new you should probably change it every 3000 miles to get the wear metal out. I'd do that until you get 15000 miles on it then start extending the OCI.

Originally Posted by Joe_Cena
It is a Chrysler engine. I wouldn't run any oil past 3 months on that piece of junk. Try to extend its life as much as possible by babying it.

crazy2.gif

So many Dodge engines out there with over 200k
Do they have problems sure but so do other manufacturers. Back on subject I run a conventional (synthetic blend) out to one year although mine are normally less than 7k. Dodge manual states one year or 10k under warranty.

Originally Posted by kmrcstintn
'18 Dodge Journey; 2.4 I-4; 4-speed auto; 3015 miles on odometer...factory fill & oil filter out; dealership 5w-20 'synthetic blend' & mopar oem replacement filter in...guessing oil is a SOPUS product; in a prior conversation the service manager told me he doesn't recommend running the oci based on olm unless it is full synthetic oil...the reminder sticker suggests an oci of 7000 miles or February 2020; this is where my confusion lies...would any of you push a synthetic blend out to 7000 miles? I don't feel good about taking a conventional past 4000-4500 mile oci & often get it changed between 3750-4000 miles...

what would y'all do for an oci mileage interval with 5w-20 synblend & mopar oem filter?

If the engine is GDI, I would use a high quality full synthetic and stick with 3k OCIs. Extend only after fuel dilution using GC shows less than 2%.

You come in here at 6 replies and make that sort of statement. You aren't going to be well received.
As to the OP, read your manual and make the determination as to where you fall in your driving habits. Are you in a severe service or normal service. Oil life monitors? I really don't go by them. Many drivers do and they use a semisynthetic oil. I like 5,000 mile OCIs but, that's just me.

I have that same Dundee Michigan built, non-Tigershark version engine in my 7 year old vehicle. FCA made a few minor improvements when they bought out the GEMA rights around 2009 and they haven't had any of the problems plaguing the Hyundai/Kia versions. It is a very reliable, trouble free non-GDI engine that uses only a few ounces of oil in my 6K+ mile OCI's. It is difficult to find a single "problem thread" if Googled. A large engine re-manufacturer I queried said the only ones they have rebuilt are for high mileage wear, not mechanical design flaws. It is described as "dated" compared to today's turbo-charged GDI engines and just doesn't have the get up and go compared to these higher tech. engines. You will enjoy it if reliability and low cost of ownership is high on your priority list.

Don't over think this. Run that semi synthetic out to 5 - 6k and switch over to a full synthetic if you wish. I have been very pleased running Pennzoil Platinum in mine. Enjoy your new vehicle!

I'm not a fan of Fiat and I don't even believe this malarkey.

Another 🦜

Originally Posted by tiger862

What lie? Before my niece had her Journey stolen it was just over a year and 50k with not one trip to dealer. It was 4 cylinder 4 speed. She had oil change when she got to it and most of the time it was over 10k with no oil loss.

wait... Someone Stole a Journey?

Originally Posted by earlyre

What lie? Before my niece had her Journey stolen it was just over a year and 50k with not one trip to dealer. It was 4 cylinder 4 speed. She had oil change when she got to it and most of the time it was over 10k with no oil loss.

Yes. Nowhere to be found. Her exboyfriend stole it and still waiting for extradition.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by earlyre

Yes. Nowhere to be found. Her exboyfriend stole it and still waiting for extradition.

Ok...that makes more sense... Someone she knew..

ok...I step away for a few hours and the thread resembles the end of a really bad party! LOL!

1) for the actual informative feedback...thanks! 5k oci sounds reasonable...might do 4k for a few; 2) for the troll train that ran off the tracks...WTH?!? oh well...

back to our regularly scheduled program...engine is NOT gdi (thankfully); driving habits are 60-70% severe service & remainder highway/open country roads; I have never gone out to olm maximum; I hope oil they use is Chrysler spec...they have used Pennzoil in the past which carries the spec; oem filters are purolator-mahle-mann (or whoever the [censored] makes motorcraft...very similar); guessing they use bulk pennzoil gold...

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/blends-conventional-oils/gold.html

Originally Posted by kmrcstintn

Perform a couple of UOAs and find out what the true answer is; until then it is almost pure speculation.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!...‚...‚...‚

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!...‚...‚...‚

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back