Confused about oil for my Buell 1125R

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a used Buell 1125R. I want to change the oil so I know it is fresh and to get it on my maintenance schedule. The owner's manual:
Screamin' Eagle SYN3 Synthetic Motorcycle Lubricant
SAE 20W50
HD 360
Above 40° F (4° C)
Excellent

H-D Multi-grade
SAE 10W40
HD 360
Below 40° F (4° C)
Excellent

H-D Multi-grade
SAE 20W50
HD 360
Above 40° F (4° C)
Good

The manual also warns of mixing oils and all these other warnings. I can't tell what is [censored] and what is legit.

In ALL of my past bikes I have run Rotella 5-40, but I have never had an owner's manual or a bike that required 20-50. Should I continue to use 5-40, or should I suck it up and use the [censored] HD Syn3?
ac

A 15w-40 HDEO is smack dab in between those two and will likely work very well. Rotella, Delo or Delvac all work well.

If you want a synthetic, you could also go with the M1 20w-50 MXT.

Don't forget that your engine is a Rotax. Any oil approved for Rotax specs will work. I am now running Rotella T synthetic in all my cars and bikes. One oil fits all!

welcome2.gif

i agree that for an all around good oil you cant really beat a hdeo.

Amsoil 20W50, 10W40
M1 20W50, 10W40
Hdeo

any one will serve you well

Originally Posted By: avc8130
I just picked up a used Buell 1125R. I want to change the oil so I know it is fresh and to get it on my maintenance schedule. The owner's manual:
Screamin' Eagle SYN3 Synthetic Motorcycle Lubricant
SAE 20W50
HD 360
Above 40° F (4° C)
Excellent

H-D Multi-grade
SAE 10W40
HD 360
Below 40° F (4° C)
Excellent

H-D Multi-grade
SAE 20W50
HD 360
Above 40° F (4° C)
Good

The manual also warns of mixing oils and all these other warnings. I can't tell what is [censored] and what is legit.

In ALL of my past bikes I have run Rotella 5-40, but I have never had an owner's manual or a bike that required 20-50. Should I continue to use 5-40, or should I suck it up and use the [censored] HD Syn3?
ac

What is so mysterious about these recommendations? If you operate your Buell in temperatures consistently above 104 degrees, then use a synthetic 20w-50 or conventional 20w-50 oil and if you operate it below 104 degrees then use a synthetic or conventional 10w-40 oil. From reading posts on this site, you should know that the real advantage of a synthetic oil is extended "oil change intervals" Buell recommends H-D oil because they are a subsidiary of Harley, you can use any brand you want.

I would recommend (like others) Rotella synthetic 5w-40 or Amsoil or Mobil 1 10w-40 or 20w-50 according to you riding environment. I will say that high performance V-twins like your Buell would be better served by a synthetic 20w-50 oil.

Originally Posted By: jeff8407
Don't forget that your engine is a Rotax. Any oil approved for Rotax specs will work. I am now running Rotella T synthetic in all my cars and bikes. One oil fits all!

I thought the engines used in Buell was made by HD.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: jeff8407

I thought the engines used in Buell was made by HD.
21.gif

Buell has started using Rotax engines. I guess Eric Buell got tired of waiting to get to use the V-Rod engines. That's OK cause the Rotax engines put out 160 HP compared to 115 HP for the V-Rod. Buell gave H-D every chance to ante up.

A sign of the times?

Harley-Davidson owns Buell.
Not sure about what percentage.
The Rotax is a high output engine, Buell is using for racing and/or competition purposes.
Most Buells still use a modified Sportster engine.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Harley-Davidson owns Buell.
Not sure about what percentage.
The Rotax is a high output engine, Buell is using for racing and/or competition purposes.
Most Buells still use a modified Sportster engine.

The Buell 1125R is not a racing bike or made for competition purposes, it is a factory street sportbike. And although Buell still uses some Sportster engines, the writing is on the wall, they will continue to use more and more Rotax engines because of superior performace technology. H-D is just not interested in "performance" motorcycling as evidenced by their lack of sportbike/performance models. Erik Buell cut his teeth on sportbikes and he is not going to go backward in his search for higher performance models. He is trying to compete head-to-head with the Japanese and cannot afford to be sentimental. The 1125R marks a change in philosophy at Buell.

Notice H-D didn't stop Buell from using Rotax engines? Those engines were custom designed specifically for Buell motorcycles, so they weren't something off-the-shelf just used for the short-term

Last edited:
Harley has used Rotax engines before in competition.
The 600 and 500 singles they raced were Rotax powered with
Harley's name cast into the timing covers.
I'm not up on Buell's line up or the specifics if this particular model.
Time will tell if Harley digs it's feet in or allows Eric to do what HE thinks best.
As long as he's making money for them, my guess is they will be hands-off, at least for now.
H-D has other problems to deal with.

I got a buell XB9R..using 20w-50w seems appropriate IMO. Since the engine is air cooled. But on the Watercooled Rotax engine? not sure on that. Maybe the HD Syn3 oil that comes with the bikes is one of the reasons. Why the bike get such a horrible MPG.

Hopefully in the next few months I would be able to get my hands on a 1125 CR. I for one will not use HD Syn oil.

Originally Posted By: puredrive
I got a buell XB9R..using 20w-50w seems appropriate IMO. Since the engine is air cooled. But on the Watercooled Rotax engine? not sure on that. Maybe the HD Syn3 oil that comes with the bikes is one of the reasons. Why the bike get such a horrible MPG.

Hopefully in the next few months I would be able to get my hands on a 1125 CR. I for one will not use HD Syn oil.

H-D Syn3 is a rip-off, just an average GrpIII oil that is way overpriced. Harley doesn't even make it and probably makes a huge profit selling it, just like their t-shirts.

Anyone know who makes H-D Syn3 ?

Citgo previously made Syn3 and now Sunoco makes it. I read this about Sunoco on Wikipedia and it shocked the you know what out of me:

"Among oil corporations, Sunoco and BP are listed as the most environmentally responsible in the latest version of the Sierra Club's Updated Environmentalist's Guide to Gasoline. Sunoco is also the only oil company to sign the Coalition for Environmentally Responsible Economies (CERES) principal and as part of this agreement, Sunoco has made all of its environmental activities -- both successes and failures -- publicly available."

Keep in mind most OEM's prove on their recommended oils during development.. Failures during this durability testing are almost always design, metallurgy, heat or stress related. Oil isn't even a factor (or a solution) as long as it's getting to the parts it needs to. HDsyn3 didn't hurt anyone's motor, brand X wouldn't have prevented it.

Originally Posted By: wileyE
Keep in mind most OEM's prove on their recommended oils during development.. Failures during this durability testing are almost always design, metallurgy, heat or stress related. Oil isn't even a factor (or a solution) as long as it's getting to the parts it needs to. HDsyn3 didn't hurt anyone's motor, brand X wouldn't have prevented it.

Agreed, but that doesn't justify H-D's excessive pricing of an average GroupIII oil just cause it says "Harley Davidson." Or letting owners think they have to use Syn3 to maintain warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back