Confused about OCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Steve S
If you can't get 10,000 miles from a syn oil it is a waste of $$$$.

Well the 10,000 mile OCI has worked for me in all these years. I may have been able to go longer with the same results, but 10 thou is a proven # to me.
Even if you did shorter OCIs there are still advantages to a good synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
... But the koolaid folks will never "believe" conventional oil is good for anything. ...

LOL.gif

That's why they are drinking Koolaid, because they spent all their money on Syn!
grin2.gif
(J/K)

I thought you use Amsoil? Whats all this syn bashing
54.gif
28.gif

I use Amsoil yes, but not because of the marketing, because it cures my lifter tick problem in the cold weather which no other Syn oil could do, and because it makes my engine super quiet and smooth. I get the miles out of it to make it worth the cost.
thumbsup2.gif

I will be running Valvoline White Bottle Dino next summer and I always said that if my new car didn't suffer from the lifter tick that this one does in the cold I would use Dino year round. Even in our very cold winters...
grin2.gif

That being said, all the other vehicles in the family run Dino, including my Austin Mini / Cabriolet and they run happily on it!

Originally Posted By: Steve S
If you can't get 10,000 miles from a syn oil it is a waste of $$$$.

More often than not, yes. I'd also throw a time component in there. If it's a 4 season climate, I'd say that spanning all four of them over 1 or 2 OCI's is value over 4 changes. Many are reluctant to do that with a conventional. I'd say the same for some place with severe cold. There would be no way I'd NOT use a synth when approaching the single digit (or worse) temps for any length of time ...even if I only did 5k/year.

No,you're wrong. There is nothing wrong with running a synthetic oil which is, generally speaking, better for your engine for 5-6k then dumping it. Cost of oil per mile is chump change for many of us vs. extended runs of 10k with the additional cost of a UOA.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
No,you're wrong. There is nothing wrong with running a synthetic oil which is, generally speaking, better for your engine for 5-6k then dumping it. Cost of oil per mile is chump change for many of us vs. extended runs of 10k with the additional cost of a UOA.

I agree that there is too much importance placed on the cost of oil. Synt. oil is cheap when you can double the OCI over dino. The difference between synt. at 10,000 mile OCI and dino at 5,000 mile OCI is nothing. It's a thing in the mind but no relevince to actual cost.

I honestly dont mind paying $30 for an oil change every 4-5k, Its the other things that go wrong on the car that I don't particularly like paying for. And hey keeping fresh oil in your engine is cheap insurance.

My two cents is this: If you OCI is due to cost only,go by the book. If your engine service life is the important part, a oil analysis will be needed. It is easy to do, and usally 2 to three tests will get you the REAL info you need unless you have a drastic change in drivivng habits.
Opinions are fine and fun, but, engine life is a different story.

As an example, I have a 05 uplander and it has 136,000 miles on it. The oil has not been changed in 14 months and I will probably not have to change oil again for the expected life of the motor which I assume I will get 200,000 to 275,000 before wear issues become a factor.

If that was all I wrote,then many would think I an a nut case! Some may still question me,but point is If I did not use,syn oil,oil analysis, oil bypass system and oversized filters,then I would not be able to acheive my goal. With some facts it makes a more ligit statment. I will not bore you with the details.
Bottom line is I did not want get under my car every three months and I wanted the longest life I could get from my engine. I think I will get there. Good luck to you.

Char I've been making my own syn blend(2qts syn & 3qts dino). All oils are the popular names held in high reguard here at BITOG.[/quote said:
I never in my 15 years of doing Oil Changes ever considered this. Making your own syn blend sounds like fun!

Last edited:
I've mentioned it before, that I've been mixing oils for over 30-35 years. When I was young and had little money, I would mix just about any oil/brand/grade just to get my oil changed in my 68 LeSabre. I have never had any engine issues due to oil.

Today, I have so many qts of different brands of oil(sale/rebate/FAR), mostly 5W30/10W30 but, I do have a few qts of 5W20 and 10W40 in the stash. In the winter time especially I like to add 2qts of say, QS-TP, PP, SynPowr or M1 to 3qts dino say, PYP, Valv WB, Hav/Chev, PEAK or GTX.

I could tell ya some stories of my mixing days i.e. 5 different brands each being of a different grade...And on and on!

I'm running a mix in my 93 Aerostar right now, Havoline 5W30 SL and 5W20 Formula Shell, with a touch of VSOT. Runs like a champ! This winter I will run a home brew synthetic blen and treat that little Aerostar to a taste of synthetic oil.

Prior to joining Bitog I'd never mix oils. I wouldn't have changed brands either, and I used Fram filters. There I said it, now I feel better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back