Confused about Mobil-1 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about using Mobil-1 0w20 in my 03 Honda Accord 4 cylinder. I am presently using Pennzoil 5w20 and plan to do a UOA when I change the oil at about 15k miles on the engine. The oil will have 7k miles on it. I do mostly highway driving. It will only take 13 weeks to put the 7k miles. Honda recommends 10k miles for my driving and engine.

I remember when Mobil-1 had a reputation for making engine seals leak.
Am I'm showing my age or is this still a problem with Mobil-1?
smile.gif

If it is no longer a problem, what is different about today’s Mobil-1?
Were seals leaking with the Mobil-1 of yesterday really a problem or just a myth?

[ October 09, 2003, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: MikeySoft ]

The seal leak was definitely a problem when Mobil 1 first came out, but it was a combination of the base oil being all PAO, as well as the older engine's gaskets and seals.

With modern engines, and the latest Mobil 1 formulas, this is not a problem.

You simply cannot have an oil that is all PAO, you need to have esters (or some group 3 or 2 or 1 oil) mixed in, in order to keep the seals from shrinking. PAOs alone will shrink the seals too much. But there is no modern synthetic oil which is all PAO now. They all learned from that early disaster that Mobil 1 made.

[ October 09, 2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Early attempts with PAOs for automotive use DID cause seal shrinkage. However, Mobil discovered early on that the addition of ester based synthetic would swell seals. I'm unsure whether the first "Mobil 1" products in the 70s had the ester content, but if not, it certainly followed shortly. Once esters were in use to maintain seal size, leakage was really the result of worn seals that would leak anyway, but perhaps more so with synthetics that flow better when cold. As experience was gained with esters, it was discovered that they have very good EP and antiwear properties, too, and cling to metal surfaces after shutdown. A win-win situation! With a 2003 model, I doubt you'll have any oil leakage probs with a switch to Mobil 1 0W-20. My '96 Accord never leaked a drop (conventional oil) in the seven years I had it. I suspect a switch to synthetic would've been equally uneventful.

[ October 09, 2003, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

You may have better luck than down here in Ok-ra-homa, but the 0W-20 is elusive. Can't find it anywhere, but the 5W-30 is pretty common. That's what I used on our 02 Accord. Was on the 5W-20 "manufacturer recommendation" thing, but after studying some posts and getting more educated on engine oils, I switched to M1 5W-30. Engine seemed to run better, even the wife noticed a change when I put the M1 in, and I didn't even tell her. The 5W-30 is really a thick 5W-20. I felt, along with many others here, that the 5W-20 was just too thin an oil.

quote:

The 5W-30 is really a thick 5W-20

I think thats a bit misleading, but I see your point. Mobil 1 30wts are 10cSt and are middle of the road 30wt oils, not thick 20wts.

I think the 20wts. are proving to be very good oils and there is proof to back it up. In a warm climate though a 30wt might be a better choice.

I wouldn't exactly call them middle of the road 30wts. Since the scale goes from 9.3 to 12.5, a middle 30wt would be exactly 10.9cst.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
You may have better luck than down here in Ok-ra-homa, but the 0W-20 is elusive. Can't find it anywhere, ...

I've seen it in every WallMart I've been in in CT & the Boston area. It is $4.77, about $3 more then the Pennzoil 5w20 I've been using.

I'm changing my oil next week but still don't know what I'm going to use. Anyone useing M1 0W20 now?

I am, and im getting about 3 mpg more in gas mileage. Plus, my oil still looks clean after 5000 miles(using a bosch premium filter). I think its worth it if you want to do 2 oil changes a year. For me, ill be changing it about every 6k because next semester, ill be driving about 66 miles a day to my transfer college.

I'm using 0w-20 (UOA posted in UOA section) on a Mazda6s V6 Auto.

The wear numbers reported from the 0w-20 were much better then those posted on the same car/engine with normal 5w-20 over the same interval, and with the 5w-20 being on a slightly older engine (My UOA was still during the breakin time frame).

quote:

Originally posted by MikeySoft:
The oil will have 7k miles on it. I do mostly highway driving. Were seals leaking with the Mobil-1 of yesterday really a problem or just a myth?

Personally-I think you are going too far with a 20 wt. oil at 7K miles even though you are doing highway driving. I know the 20 wts. have done well. Still I would pull an analysis at 5K and see if it holds up.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Personally-I think you are going too far with a 20 wt. oil at 7K miles even though you are doing highway driving. I know the 20 wts. have done well. Still I would pull an analysis at 5K and see if it holds up.

I was wondering when someone would say something about that.
smile.gif

We'll have to wait to see what the UOA saids when I change the oil next week. This is the first oil after factory fill so it may be a little missleading.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to use M1 0w20 or Pennzoil 5w20. Too bad I can not get a UOA on the spot when I change the oil.

quote:

Originally posted by HOndaGuy:

...im getting about 3 mpg more in gas mileage...

HOndaGuy,
I get about 32.5 mpg so 3 more mpg would be about 9% for me. That would make the price differance for the M1 almost nonthing. What is your final mpg and what honda are you driving? I have a Accord 4 cylinder manual transmission.

[ October 10, 2003, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: MikeySoft ]

Mobil is just a confuseing company. THeir are not to many companys that put out products just for the sake of haveing a product out in the market place. Mobil has too much over lap of products. M1 SS 0W20,0W30,0W40,5W30,10W30,5W50,15W50 Delvac-1 5W40

If I had to make the call it would be 0W20,5W30, and 5W40. The 30wt and 40 wt would be right at the viscosity lim,it for their weight. THe 5W40 would be delvac rebottled.

I would concentrate on produceing a lubricant for manual transmissions that would meet most import requirments and GM's.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Mobil is just a confuseing company. THeir are not to many companys that put out products just for the sake of haveing a product out in the market place. Mobil has too much over lap of products. M1 SS 0W20,0W30,0W40,5W30,10W30,5W50,15W50 Delvac-1 5W40

If I had to make the call it would be 0W20,5W30, and 5W40. The 30wt and 40 wt would be right at the viscosity lim,it for their weight. THe 5W40 would be delvac rebottled.

I would concentrate on produceing a lubricant for manual transmissions that would meet most import requirments and GM's.

It is called "The Microsoft Way." Just keep flooding the market with "new and improved" versions of the same old **** . Thay way, The Company cuts a higher profile with the vast horde of humanity out there, i.e. the buying public. Who, of course, could not find their arse with both hands.

Manufacturers today fall into 2 broad categories. The "******** type," already discusses, and the good, solid, honest performance types, such as Schaeffer and Chevron and maybe Castrol(only the GTX Division). The second type prefer to stay out of the ******** arms race.

[ October 12, 2003, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Flimflam:
Manufacturers today fall into 2 broad categories. The "******** type," already discusses, and the good, solid, honest performance types, such as Schaeffer and Chevron and maybe Castrol(only the GTX Division). The second type prefer to stay out of the ******** arms race.

Flimflam, I think that they are playing the "********" game with GTX, at least down under, they've got about 6 different GTXs here.

Will edit the post with what they are when I next go to a parts place.

[ October 12, 2003, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

I even elimanated my two favorite weights 10W30 and 15W50. THe 5W30 makes good sense seeing how so many people have already been brainwased by their oil cap. THe 0W20 makes sense due to Honda and Ford. The 5W40 would take care of 90% of the people currently useing 15W50 or 5W50. I think from a marketing stand point it would save a fortune by reduceing the variety of products they offer. They might as well take advantage of the flexability inherient to synthetic oils!!

Some of the money saved could go right back into R&D to push their oils to the front of the pack instead of the middle of the pack. I am wanting a product from mobil that will compete with Motul and Redline for $5 a quart at Walmart!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back