Confirmed! We've Got a GM Mole at BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, last night I took a little swipe at GM for the disparity is displacement listings for the 3.9L between Chevrolet.com and the GM Powerplants site. See the 4th page of this thread: yesterday's post jabbing at GM.

This morning, I noticed that the Chevrolet.com displacement figures for the 3.9L are changed to the same numbers as appear on the GM powerplants site.
shocked.gif
Wow, that was fast. So much for giant corporate inertia.

Well, gotta give credit where credit is due. It was a silly mistake in the first place, but they did correct it very, very quickly. There's only one way that happened: MOLE!!! Whoever you are, welcome. Other members who make a living from GM, caution. . .

Oh, forgot to add one thing. Hey Mole, whoever you are, you might want to take another look at the Impala page. At least as of a few days ago, it would not let you examine dealer stock for the "2LT" configured cars. All others are searchable, from LS to SS, but not this one.

Uh-ohh, all the GM critics here may be under surveillance.
nono.gif
Remember what the big bad General tried to do to Ralph Nader in the '60s!

No wait! I didn't mean to say that!
rolleyes.gif

By the way, did I mention how much I love GM products!
grin.gif

bowdown.gif
GM

Ralph Nader was FOS. EDIT: The NHTSA report showed that all of Nader's accusations about the Corvair were unfounded.

[ October 01, 2005, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: brianl703 ]

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Oh, forgot to add one thing. Hey Mole, whoever you are, you might want to take another look at the Impala page. At least as of a few days ago, it would not let you examine dealer stock for the "2LT" configured cars. All others are searchable, from LS to SS, but not this one.

Shoot, Mole, you're scaring me now -- that's fixed too. I'm going outside right now to check all of my lugnuts. . .

Brian: Is it you???
wink.gif
I used to agree with you about the Corvair, until a couple years ago when I witnessed one spin out after attempting nothing more challenging than a lane change on a wet interstate. I'm not saying that Nader was right, but seeing that certainly got me thinking. Of course, in fairness, many cars of that day had pretty skittish handling, so who knows.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
Ralph Nader was FOS. EDIT: The NHTSA report showed that all of Nader's accusations about the Corvair were unfounded.

GM can do no wrong can they? Too bad their quick edit of the power train web site doesn't extend to using modern technolory in their engines.

I know when I was growing up my family owned a 1960, 1965, and a 1969 Corvair and they as I remember were really good cars. I never heard my father, mother, brother or sister ever bad mouth the car. I was too young to drive back then.

Lets not talk about the peeling paint off the hoods and roofs a few years ago. There is a rust problem with the hoods on the Buicks.
No one out side of GM is suppose to know about that one according to a Buick dealer body shop manager.
Funny the rest of the car doesn't have a rust problem only the hoods. Hummmmmmmmm
How about them 3.1 and 3.4 intake manifold leaks and the Piston slap in the truck engines the day you drive it off the show room.
I know I'm being picky but when it comes to domestics I'll go GM before I'd buy a Ford or Mopar.

quote:

Originally posted by jtantare:
GM can do no wrong can they?

How in the **** did you make the leap of logic from "Nader was wrong about the Corvair" to "GM can do no wrong?"

This is typical of the crap you post here. Take your vendetta against GM to some other forum, I'm getting sick of hearing it.

Hint: You might be able to get away with it a bit more if you occasionally posted something containing information that other users here might find useful. As it is, you don't even do that.

quote:

You are correct, but GM, instead of fighting Nader's accusations with hard engineering proof, resorted to some very low tactics:

http://www.leftwatch.com/archives/years/2000/000070.html

"...GM committed one boneheaded mistake after another (even hiring prostitutes at one point to lure Nader into a compromising position), and the result was the creation of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration."

I think GM assumed that the court of public opinion was too stupid to understand engineering proof.

Character assassinination, now that's something the idiots can eat right up.

Think..what makes a good trashy tabloid headline? Nothing having to do with engineering, that's for sure.

Not excusing what GM did, but I can understand why they did it.

OK Brian, lighten up a little please. Now, it took some courage to tell you that. I'm now assuming that you're the mole -- I accused you this morning of being the mole, and you've made two whole posts without even a hint of a denial. BTW, have I told you that in a previous life, I sat as a judge in the Salem witch trials? Thanks, I appreciate your forgiveness -- my lug nuts were all tight before the trip from work to the hotel. Still, I think I'll check 'em again tomorrow morning before I hit the road.
cheers.gif

I can also understand that it's cheaper to let us find their mistakes (online and on-car) than to have a verification or testing program. Why shouldn't we be critical of the world's biggest car company? They make much more than their share of mistakes.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Brian: Is it you???
wink.gif
I used to agree with you about the Corvair, until a couple years ago when I witnessed one spin out after attempting nothing more challenging than a lane change on a wet interstate.

No, I am not the mole. My only connection with GM is that I currently work for an IT company with a three-letter name that they used to own. Although this IT company still provides services to GM, I do not work on any GM-related contracts.

As far as the Corvair goes, I would have to be certain of the condition of the tires on that car before I would blame the suspension for what happened. Not to mention, there could have been uncorrected suspension problems relating to the vehicle's age which caused what happened.

quote:

quote:

GM can do no wrong can they?

How in the **** did you make the leap of logic from "Nader was wrong about the Corvair" to "GM can do no wrong?"

This is typical of the crap you post here. Take your vendetta against GM to some other forum, I'm getting sick of hearing it.

Hint: You might be able to get away with it a bit more if you occasionally posted something containing information that other users here might find useful. As it is, you don't even do that.

Clam down over there. If you want to keep defending GMs screw ups at any cost fine. But its not like I made a comment about your mother or anything. No need for personal attacks.

quote:

Clam down over there. Its not like I made a comment about your mother or anything. No need for personal attacks.

Sorry, but drawing the conclusion you did from what I said appears to me as you putting words in my mouth.

There are plenty of things that GM has done wrong. It's just that the Corvair isn't one of them.

OMG, an EDS guy.
shocked.gif
Sheesh, I've gotten myself in deeper than I thought. You're probably Ross Perot himself masquerading as some guy named "Brian".
wink.gif
tongue.gif

So, who can we next accuse of being the Mole? I can think of a few likely candidates. . .

quote:

quote:

Clam down over there. Its not like I made a comment about your mother or anything. No need for personal attacks.

Sorry, but drawing the conclusion you did from what I said appears to me as you putting words in my mouth.

There are plenty of things that GM has done wrong. It's just that the Corvair isn't one of them.

You are right. I apologize. I had some other previous comments that defended GM in mind when I posted that comment.
My beef with GM is they have the potential to produce really outstanding product. They have the engineering, the technology and the money. But somewhere along the way, they always manage to disappoint with cheap interiors and push rod engines just to name a few. As a share holder the company is a dog. As a consumer its even worse. But then I see the product this company produces in other parts of the world and I think, *** why can't they do this here? Look at Opel, Holden even Chevys sold in South America.
 -

-

-

I would buy this car. A lot of people in this country would. Not just rental car companies. So why do we get the Malibu and the Cobalt? If GM can make a buck selling this Vectra in Brasil I'm sure they can make a profit here.

quote:

Lets not talk about the peeling paint off the hoods and roofs a few years ago. There is a rust problem with the hoods on the Buicks.
No one out side of GM is suppose to know about that one according to a Buick dealer body shop manager.

I thought that was fairly common knowledge. I thought the Buick/Olds/Cadillacs had a problem with the moisture inductive sealant causing rust to the cost cutting minimal layers of paint the cars were recieving. Similar to Mopars paint problems around the same time. Compare the nine layers of paint the Cadillacs were gettting in the late seventies to the three layer system they had in the eighties. In all fairness, the last GM I had paint rusting on was my 90 Caprice, which had started rusting before it was two years old. I have had, however, several late 90's to current models exhibit signs of trim rusting on the models that come with metal side trim.

quote:

How about them 3.1 and 3.4 intake manifold leaks and the Piston slap in the truck engines the day you drive it off the show room.

I've owned GM's of every marque through the years (Except Saab and Hummer) and this is what is going to keep me from ever owning another one. While the 3000 series V6's are very reliable (most of 13 cabs I own are 3.1 and 3.8 equipped Buicks and Olds) I cannot forgive GM's arrogance regarding this situation. The piston slap doesn't irk me so much as the intake manifold gasket leaks. Yesterday I went and looked at my personal Century with about 120k miles on it. Surprise, the gaskets are blown AGAIN. This will be the third time I've replaced them, once at 30k, once at 100k and now again. My Lesabre has had the upper and lower gaskets replaced twice, all under 60k. But my point is every single 3000 series engine I've had has had this problem that GM only recently half heartedly fessed up to. (Actually my 89 Riviera 3800 didn't have that problem. In 300k all I ever had to do repair wise was the harmonic balancer, but anyway).

quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are correct, but GM, instead of fighting Nader's accusations with hard engineering proof, resorted to some very low tactics:

http://www.leftwatch.com/archives/years/2000/000070.html

"...GM committed one boneheaded mistake after another (even hiring prostitutes at one point to lure Nader into a compromising position), and the result was the creation of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

If anybody who ever drove an early model Corvair remembers, these cars were absolute pieces of crap when it came to handling. They were unforgivingly brute, it took every ounce of strength and determination to keep that beast in the lane and out of the ditch. The air cooled rear engine loved to overheat and the overall quality was Chevy-good, which says it all.

Buy the time Nader started his campaign the adjustments and improvements had been made and the later model Corvairs were very nice cars, a decent example of American sportiness for the time. But the damage had been done and Gm went ahead with its stupid harrasment of Nader that ultimately led to Gm having to pay Nader 5 grand and ultimately led to them dropping the Corvair altogether. Another example of GM arrogance that has soured them in the eyes of former buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back