Condensator

Status
Not open for further replies.
A total waste, huh?
Just curious, as I saw a guy plugging it on another board.
JLS

what a load of **!

Virtually all closed system nowadays already included PCV gas into the equation for HP and such. TAking it off of the PCV closed system will actually make your car worse in terms of performance.

No doubt that a PCV oil separator will make the intake manifold cleaner with less oily deposits but that's not the main point. The main point is, this is more of a hype just like those spark booster made in Malaysia, air turbulance device from Korea/Taiwan, etc. full of hype and unproven results.

Condensator-smondensator....FTC should go after these crooks just like when FTC went after those PTFE engine additives.

thats nothing more than fancy name for a seperator. they have them things on hospital walls for seperating liquids from air.

also old card with glass fuel bowls used this same device to drap dirt and water in the bottom.

probably cost $3 to make.

It's interesting that the opinions are from not knowing anything about the product and its effect on an engine. I don't understand how keeping gunk out of the intake side of the system can do anything bad. The product is kind of expensive, and you could probably make one from parts at Home Depot for $20 or so, hose, clamps and an air compressor air oil seperator. We have devices, something like this on stationary gen/sets. These engines have a pcv valve, but with a seperator in the system, we have never changed one. We have no data that shows what they do, but I would not want to put all the gunk they pick up back into the intake manifold.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
It's interesting that the opinions are from not knowing anything about the product and its effect on an engine. I don't understand how keeping gunk out of the intake side of the system can do anything bad. The product is kind of expensive, and you could probably make one from parts at Home Depot for $20 or so, hose, clamps and an air compressor air oil seperator. We have devices, something like this on stationary gen/sets. These engines have a pcv valve, but with a seperator in the system, we have never changed one. We have no data that shows what they do, but I would not want to put all the gunk they pick up back into the intake manifold.

I can see that particular benefit that you mention, but the claims of so much added power seem extremely inflated.
JLS

there is certainly a benefit to this contraption on pvc/egr valve eqipped diesel vehicles. in those intake manifoldss oil mist comes in contact with soot from the egr creating a thick, tar-like coating to the intake eventually causing a significant restriction. this is a bit pricey however. the VW TDI community is well aware of this condition nd has come up up with some interesting ways to combat the problem

quote:

Originally posted by WOOCHOW:
there is certainly a benefit to this contraption on pvc/egr valve eqipped diesel vehicles. in those intake manifoldss oil mist comes in contact with soot from the egr creating a thick, tar-like coating to the intake eventually causing a significant restriction. this is a bit pricey however. the VW TDI community is well aware of this condition nd has come up up with some interesting ways to combat the problem

Yes, but what about the claims of extra horsepower? What about the affect on a gas burner?
The guy claims that this is more than a catch basin, too.
From another forum
"Hi,

Tom from Condensator sales here.

We've a few things to share with you.

If the Condensator is collecting and the vehicle is not seeing gains it is most likely the fuel delivery system has not adjusted the mixture properly. There can be other reasons as well, changes in fuel, weather, conditions, driving habits, etc..

If you'd like give us a call so we can see what else is happening with your truck.

Next, the Condensator is not a filter.

The Condensator is a separator. The separator basket actually cracks the hydrocarbons existing in the blowby stream. This allows lighter, more volatile gasses to enter the air intake, thus providing a more sophisticated fuel. A simple catch can does not have this ability.

We've now personally installed over 1000 units in Northwestern Montana, the majority of which see significant gains in mileage and power. On average, we see 15% reduction of fuel consumption in the newer F-150's.

All the Best,

Tom"

It just shows how stupid the car manufacturers are. They spend hundreds of millions on creating vehicles like the HHR and PT cruiser to get them classified as trucks. All they have to do is connect a mayo jar to the trucks in order to boost thier CAFE numbers!!

He left out the part where if you install seven of them your engine will actually make gas that you can sell back to chevron.

Just a thought, is it possible those extracted oils, in the vapor form would be beneficial to your engine as upper cyl. lube?

So far there is no useful knowledge about, or experience with the Condensator. The best we can say is that it is probably useful, over hyped and over priced. Beyond that I see a device that begs for a test, along with a Home Depot model, too. Where are some of the members that have built Home Depot devices and are using them? Please chime in.

I have the HomeDepot (walmart actually) air compressor water line filter as a PCV catch can, and there was/is no difference in MPG or power. I installed it to keep the intake mani clean and it does catch a few ounces of oil and milky oil in winter for each OCI.

I have also wondered if the oily vapors from the PCV system can act as a UCL, or not. It seems funny to seperate that oil out of my PCV system, and then to add a UCL to the gas tank.

Not to worry, Surf, keep the catch-can there.. UCL can go in via your gas tank through the injectors.
In my car, the pcv dumps into the boot about 4 inches ahead of the throttle body. I can't imagine getting any UCL from this...stuff.

Can't imagine any horsepower gain either, except maybe 60 or 80K down the road, owing to a cleaner throttle body than you'd have without a catch-can. The HP claims are B*S, far as I can see. It isn't a "condensator" in any case, it's a separator. I don't know the engineering principle behind it, but someone will come along to explain it I hope. The PCV gasses make the turn through the can, the goo doesn't. Not sure that's really condensation.

Mine is the same as yours no doubt, Husky compressor filter. I got rid of the little element (it's kinda like a filter-stone for an aquarium pump), and let the gases dump into the can through the end of the stem from the filter inlet, and the exit from the can is at the very top. It has a little tire-valve at the botton to drain with. The stuff goes in, dumps the crud in the bottom, does and about-face and goes right out the top.

I collect and dump 3-5 oz a month (i do a lot of driving, probably 4K/month). It's nasty. Oily, sure, but kinda fuelish stinking and smells a little acidic even. It has to be better to not be putting this stuff into the throttle body.

My 2 cents, your mileage, as always, may vary!
cheers.gif

Could someone post a diagram, or picture of their home depot setup with a list of parts needed?
Thanks
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back