Concrete in PVC drain pipe

Contractor washed concrete down a 4" PVC drain pipe. It does slightly flow water, like a trickle from a soda bottle. Pipe will fill until submerged with water., then slowly drain. I have snaked using a hand held powered snake. I can get past the concrete, but cannot release any more solidified material. Some pieces removed are curved like the bottom of the pipe. I have read muriatic (hydrochloric) acid will soften the concrete. I am concerned of the chemical reaction causing heat and destroying the PVC pipe. The drain is under patterned concrete around a pool. I am holding contractor payment of ~ 5%. Contractor refuses to address until fully paid.

Any experience using muriatic acid to soften concrete? Any safety concerns?

Muriatic acid is used to etch concrete before painting.
Might be worth trying, but more research is needed.

How about using a sewer camera to see exactly how much of the 4" drain is clogged.
Then decide on a repair solution.
Either leave as is, or dig up drain along with Small Claims Court.

When we built our home in 1983, apparently then tile contractor who put the tile in our kitchen and upstairs bathroom, washed the tile grout down the toilet drain before the toilet was installed. We had issues for yeeeeeeears, without our knowing what the problem was. Finally about 30 years later we found grout waaaaaaaay down the line when I opened the traps in the basement to clean out a clog. Problem solved

But what's with any of these contractors who were involved in building our home. The builder must have P!$$ED off many people as we had issued everywhere in our new home. Crappy workmanship in the plumbing, drywall finishing, electrical.

Reactions: JC1
Muriatic (hydrochloric) acid won't soften the concrete, but will corrode it away if repeatedly treated. You might check with some of the plumbing companies to see who has the highest pressure water blasting equipment. At work we routinely cut slag out of boilers and removed epoxy coatings off metal with water blasting, but I'm not sure what the maximum capabilities of the Rotor Rooter type guys are.

Crappy workmanship in the plumbing, drywall finishing, electrical.
But the work must have passed any inspections by your Town.

I always try to learn what the industry standard is.
That way you know their doing decent work.

My opinion of Building Codes is,
It's the minimum.
Any work I do around my house, I try to do better (if only neater).

I am holding contractor payment of ~ 5%. Contractor refuses to address until fully paid.

Unfortunately in sounds like you need to get a lawyer involved instead of muriatic acid. Contractor's position at this point would be concerning for me. Their actions seemingly caused the situation you are in.

It might be worth it to talk to a drain contractor like a Roto Rooter person. They might have a augur bit that can handle this situation. They will have a camera that can pinpoint the problem area.

I wouldn’t deal with the pool contractor anymore. Once that loss of trust occurs it’s a downhill slope from there. Hopefully the payment issue can be settled as well.

Contractor washed concrete down a 4" PVC drain pipe. It does slightly flow water, like a trickle from a soda bottle. Pipe will fill until submerged with water., then slowly drain. I have snaked using a hand held powered snake. I can get past the concrete, but cannot release any more solidified material. Some pieces removed are curved like the bottom of the pipe. I have read muriatic (hydrochloric) acid will soften the concrete. I am concerned of the chemical reaction causing heat and destroying the PVC pipe. The drain is under patterned concrete around a pool. I am holding contractor payment of ~ 5%. Contractor refuses to address until fully paid.

I don't see what you have to lose. I also like the roto rooter idea, and water blast. Another option if you don't like the hydrochloric acid fumes would be a CITRIC acid, such as used in pool cleaning. I used that once in my pool, and several days later, I found a big chunk of pool plaster in the filter basket ahead of the pump.
It seems that the acid worked its way between the plaster and the plastic pipe so it lost its "grip". Normal suction then pulled the chunk into the basket.
Maybe a combination of the two methods would work best, using the acid first.

I am concerned of the chemical reaction causing heat and destroying the PVC pipe. The drain is under patterned concrete around a pool. I am holding contractor payment of ~ 5%. Contractor refuses to address until fully paid.

Get some PVC pipe and put some acid in it and see what happens (for testing purposes).

Is the clog inside or outside? Is there a clean out below the clog if it is inside? Is there access to the section of drain? If the clog is outside it probably isn't too deep. I wouldn't want anybody the builder sent. Or for some other If you gather the materials before you deal with it, it could be a DIY weekend job. I have had 2 clogged pipe issues and I fixed both myself. Best thing about DIY was I could fix the trouble on my schedule. :cool:

Depending on how much concrete is in the pipe useing muriatic acid is no really a good method since it takes alot to dissole its and depending where the pipe drains to may not be an option. Mechanical removal may work but it may crack the pipe. I would contact a pool leak detecion company to see what can be done before flushing tens of gallons of corrosive liquids down the pipe.

Update. Placed a 1" long section of 2" schedule #40 PVC pipe and a 2"x1" lump of concrete in a 3" diameter plastic container. Added 2:1 diluted muriatic acid to cover. Container did not get warm, but liquid bubbled like soda in a glass. Six hours later, only green liquid and stone/sand remained of the concrete. PVC pipe and plastic container were not affected as I could tell by visual inspection.

So this morning, I inserted a 1/2" ID nylon hose into the drain pipe to the area of the clog. Clog is in a slightly sloped 4" schedule #40 patio drain. Poured about 1/2 gallon of diluted 3:1 muriatic acid into the hose. No liquid ran out the end of the 4" pipe. I plan to use a sewer jet to hopefully erode the remints of the concrete and flush out the pipe

The drain is open. I was able to push an electricians fish tape through the pipe. Attached a metal 1" square (Powerstrut) and pulled through the pipe . Eventually pushed a cut off hose into the clog to erode with water. Flushed out hardened concrete bits, some leaf material and a brass hose nozzle. I think the pool company knew of their clogging the pipe with concrete and tried to flush out with a small garden hose nozzle. But, it got stuck in the concrete as it hardened. I think the acid loosened the concrete bond to the pipe allowing the fish tape/metal block to dislodge the blockage.

The drain is open. I was able to push an electricians fish tape through the pipe. Attached a metal 1" square (Powerstrut) and pulled through the pipe . Eventually pushed a cut off hose into the clog to erode with water. Flushed out hardened concrete bits, some leaf material and a brass hose nozzle. I think the pool company knew of their clogging the pipe with concrete and tried to flush out with a small garden hose nozzle. But, it got stuck in the concrete as it hardened. I think the acid loosened the concrete bond to the pipe allowing the fish tape/metal block to dislodge the blockage.
Man you are lucky. I've heard of tenants doing this to rental homes, mixing quickrete hydraulic cement in a toilet and flushing it until the pipes close up....utter insanity. Glad you were able to open up the pipe. Keep the 5% for your time and expenses. Sounds like the contractor has some amazing google reviews headed his way.

There's no way to remove that kind of a clog other than remove that section of pipe and replace it.

Back