Concours 14 has crazy long oil change intervals ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JetStar
The only way to know for sure is to pick your oil and do some UOA's. See ya after your next oil change.

I agree. Test it at 2,500.....then again at 4-5k.....to see where it is. On a shared sump system, no way I would go over 5k.....and prefer 3,500.

On the other hand my BMW RT can easily go 7500 miles with a high quality synthetic because the tranny has it's own, separate sump.

I ran a 15w50 in my KTM950....and in 4,000 miles it had sheared to a high 30wt. As everyone knows....shared sump systems are really hard on oil.

My 14' Street Triple says 6k OCI or yearly. They also spec a syn or syn blend. Funny in the manual they say 10w40 or 10w50 and the manual endorses 10w40 Castrol Power. The dealer stocks the 10w50 Castrol Power.....I think most dealers in North America use the 10w50 for that matter.

When I was working at a motorcycle dealer most people just do the annual change before putting their bike away for winter.

My Ninja 250R OCI is 7,500. I go around 2k. I do a lot of highway riding too. My little Ninja is past 9K on the rev counter 90% of the time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OhioGuy82
My Ninja 250R OCI is 7,500. I go around 2k. I do a lot of highway riding too. My little Ninja is past 9K on the rev counter 90% of the time.

A few years ago I read a study by 3 major oil producers. They found more wear right after the oil change and none or very very little towards the end of the OCI. They also found no wear if the old oil was freshened up with a quart or two of new oil opposed to replacing all with new.

I can't find this study for some reason or another....anyone know about this ? a link ? I'm most certain this forum started me on the study...???

@OhioGuy82, certainly you can do as you please...IMO you should stretch your OC out a bit...

As BusyLittleShop would say...Don't fear the shear,
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back