Concerned about GC and sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed to M1 after a 8000 mile run with GC and LC. My driving consists of 70%highway and 30% city. I went to take back the old GC today and while dumping it in milk jugs, at the bottom of my drain pan, there was several chunks of sludge in the oil. I'll be honest when I say I've never seen this before and had me concerned and I still am concerned as I type this.

What do you think cause this sludging?? The oil sat in my garage for about a week or so before I got around to taking it back. You think the oil just settled so much that it sludged on it's own or could it really be from my engine?? Thanks,,,,,,AR

It is highly unlikely that GC would sludge let alone sludge with Lube Control. One possibility is that the GC/Lube Control combination loosened existing sludge. I ran a GC/Lube Control combo in my car for 10,000 miles with no problems.

I've been using LC with every run of oil I've used since I got it. I did my water cylinder decarbonizing a few months back when GC/LC were in there. Don't know if that would contribute?? Thanks,,,,,,AR

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
... One possibility is that the GC/Lube Control combination loosened existing sludge...

That is kinda what I was thinking, or what ever was in the pan prior to this. Or maybe stuff fell in after the drain?

I'm going against the norm on here, but my fear of adding things to oil is having a bad reaction. Even though LC is probably not the cause here, what if LC just doesn't react well with certain oil formulations? I don't like the idea of that.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:

A clump of alcohol/water could do the same, did you use anything with alcohol in it for the decarb technique ?

Nope, just distilled water sucked through a vaccum line leading into the manifold,,,,,AR

Active LC dissolves sludge so I doubt that if it was used in large enough quantities that sludge would still be visible to the eye.

Bet your drain pan had some trash in it, that fell in ,or congealed to form what looks like sludge.

A clump of alcohol/water could do the same, did you use anything with alcohol in it for the decarb technique ?

Neither LC or GC contain alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back