compressors: harbor freight vs. the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

In doing my searching for a compressor that Id liek to buy, which is small enough to not take up much space at all, but sufficient to run an air tool now and again, I got hooked on the Makita MAC700. Its an oiled 1720 rpm unit that does 3.3cfm @90. I figured Id augment it with a second air tank if it doesnt fit my needs 100%, but with this one (only $159), Ill have super-portability... a must for me.

I walked into my local harbor freight, and looked at the compressors. Well, much to my amazement, they had a 1720 rpm motor, oil-lubed, twin tank compressor. It was about the same proce, and rated at 3.8cfm@90. Whereas the makita goes to 135 from the factory, this one only does 115.

They look really close, motor and compression unit-wise.. you can kind of tell from the Makita parts list and page 10 on the hf owner's manual:
http://www.makita.com/assets_product/MAC700/parts_breakdowns/MAC700.pdf

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/42000-42999/42321.PDF

So, I have to ask... is there a high probability that the makita and HF compressor units, motor, etc. are sourced from the same subcontracor? If so, I kind of feel cheated by makita!

THe units parts all look so same, even though overall layout and some externals differ, it really makes me wonder if its worth buying name brand anymore. Most stuff is made in China anyway, and I wouldnt doubt that half of it is just labeled either name brand or harbor freight when it hits the dock...

Any comments? Am I way off base?

Thanks,

JMH

i have that exact same harbor freight compressor. have used it for a bunch of years with no problems. used for everything from impact wrench to automotive painting.

i use the thing ALOT. its bulletproof as far as i am concerned. the pest part is the 89 dolalr price tag.

It is hard to beat that price. If it lasts a year you will have your money out of the Harbor Freight unit.

In a recip compressor I'm a big fan of IR. Burned up many different brands including Snap-On, Campbell, Devilbiss, etc. but so far the IR's have held up well. I have run the IR at home so long that the stickers turned black on the tank. The tank was so hot you couldn't touch it, and it still doesn’t pass any water and still produces flow within spec. Down side is even with a good deal IR is still proud of their products, my last IR was $1800 but worth every penny IMO.

As long as you don't mind the China/Taiwan manufactured part, can't beat HF for a lot of stuff. Now if you can just get them to stock rotaries
grin.gif

I have the 2HP model for $99. It is portable,lightweight and works for most needs. I had a much bigger one and glad I took it back to Lowe's. HF has many China made products for cheap and for the non professional they do fine.I still buy quality too but less since HF.

I have a 30-50 year old (Was my grandfather's and he's had it since before I was born and I'm 28 years old) D-biss that's still going strong. Only problem is that it rusted through at one of the welds. I either have to clean it up and reweld it, or scrap it and get me a new compressor.

I'm thinking restoring it would be a fun project for the spring/summer, but I've also been wondering what the best bang-for-the-buck brand would be for a new compressor.

One of these days I need to figure out exactly how old that stubborn old compressor is.

I recently purchased a HF 2.5 HP 8 gal compressor. I noticed this thing sure does run a higher temp than my dad's old Sears 1 HP 10 gal. I am running ACE compressor oil. Any idea what type of over the counter friction modifiers I could add?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back