Compressing shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not have the strength to compress my front shocks while underneath the vehicle. I wiped them off with a degreaser, compressed them on a bench, and had the wife tape them with Gorilla tape, and they held! Cant find an easier way.

Why do you need to compress them?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Are they gas shocks?

+1

Originally Posted By: junksta
KYB gas adjust shocks.
Yeah gas shocks are a pain, I put some on my Jeep. What I do is I stick it in the upper lot hole and then use my floor jack to compress it up, then slide it into place and it goes in and I put the bolts in.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
KYB gas adjust shocks.
Yeah gas shocks are a pain, I put some on my Jeep. What I do is I stick it in the upper lot hole and then use my floor jack to compress it up, then slide it into place and it goes in and I put the bolts in.

+1

Mine came with a plastic retainer but I imagine zip ties could be used then cut.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Mine came with a plastic retainer but I imagine zip ties could be used then cut.

Mine always have had the plastic. Love the zip ties idea.
thumbsup2.gif

Leave the plastic shipping strap intact until their in position if you can.

On another note, I can see Consumer Reports zip-tie testing station....a endless row of gas shocks held compressed by different colored zip-ties.

Techs wearing eye protection is a must in any picture.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Agreed, it's designed to be snipped off once the shock is in place

My rear shocks came compressed and strapped and they really didn't have to be. But the fronts were not strapped and of course we're PIA for am old guy to install. Gorilla tape was great.

I used an old nylon dog leash/ choker collar thing that my dog came with from the animal hospital after his leg surgery. Large dog, baggy skin. A traditional collar and leash setup didn't work for him.

Had a small 1/2" or so steel ring on it for the choker part. Fed the handle loop through the top and bottom sleeve, compress it down, and have a helper tighten it into a knot with a few clove hitches. Fed it up into the car and released.

I did not have the strength to compress my front shocks while underneath the vehicle. I wiped them off with a degreaser, compressed them on a bench, and had the wife tape them with Gorilla tape, and they held! Cant find an easier way.

After purging, I put the wire back on and cut it loose when in position, easier than taping them up..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Kira

Agreed, it's designed to be snipped off once the shock is in place

Sometimes it's not possible, in situations where you need to attach a shock mount hardware to the threaded portion of the rod.

Get a Jeep bottle jack with the long handle at the junkyard.

They have a "U" shaped saddle that I use to push the shock up to bolt it.

If you think KYBs are hard to compress, try Bilsteins......
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back