Comprehensive teardown of an engine which failed after no oil change for ~75000kms

If you've got a spare hour and a half, this guy comprehensively tears down a Honda engine which had a big end knock after not having the oil changed for a long time. He says that the sticker indicated it's last changed was 75000kms prior (46000 miles), but he also says it's likely it's had an undocumented change during that time. I'd tend to believe that due to lack of sludge. I'd say the main cause was lack of oil.

anyway it is a very interesting watch, albeit very long and he explains everything every step of the way.

Modern engines can take insane amounts of abuse before failure.

Theres a guy on the Mustang forums that had a life crisis or whatever and went 40-50,000 miles without an oil change on his 5.0 mustang. I think he kept it alive by just topping off. Anyways he finally got around to changing it and still drives it today. No inspection or overhaul or anything just changed it and kept driving. I might find it and post here.

With the right oil a 20,000 mi oil change in a Honda may not be that big of a deal if kept topped off.
Agreed. That was not my point. Only that the video suggested there was an oil change in there somewhere.

That engine was neglected and the result was predictable.

What's the difference between a planned 20K interval and an unplanned one?
Good question.

Unplanned, just drive. See above.

In a nutshell - Planned, assure that you are starting with a well tuned clean engine. Know if your engine consumes oil. Perform at least one UOA to see if you have a coolant leak or anything else crazy going on.

Check your oil frequently.

Choose a good long drain oil and a good filter. Drive 7k-10K miles. Check your oil frequently. Top up as necessary to the full+ mark. Check your oil frequently. Perform other maintenance as necessary. Check your oil frequently.

Change your oil.

Choose a good long drain oil and a good filter. Drive 12-15K miles. Check your oil frequently. Top up as necessary to the full+ mark. Check your oil frequently. Perform other maintenance as necessary. Check your oil frequently.

Change your oil.

Choose a good long drain oil and a good filter. Drive 18-20K miles. Check your oil frequently. Top up as necessary to the full+ mark. Check your oil frequently. Perform other maintenance as necessary. Check your oil frequently.

Change your oil. UOA if you want, not required. Repeat.

Back