Comprehensive and collision deductibles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the input everyone. It really is a lot to think about and very dependent on each individuals situation.

Reading as many articles as I can find searching about it, it seems like the general recommendation is to have collision at 1000.

Comprehensive is another story, and it seems like 500 is average. To me that sounds high, especially if the selected comprehensive deductible applies to glass replacement as well.

I'm also thinking the towing coverage isn't worth it in the long run. With some searching I found a nation wide towing dispatch number and with 2 years of paying for the coverage, I probably already paid for the tow that I might never need.

Edit: JHZR2: In all the reading I've done, I remember one article pointing out that if you wouldn't make up the difference in 3 years, it's probably not worth raising the deductible. I think they were taking that from the average collision claim rate being around 3 to 4 years. If you don't have an at fault accident in 20 years, then that advice wouldn't have paid off haha.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
Comprehensive is another story, and it seems like 500 is average. To me that sounds high, especially if the selected comprehensive deductible applies to glass replacement as well.

I'm also thinking the towing coverage isn't worth it in the long run. With some searching I found a nation wide towing dispatch number and with 2 years of paying for the coverage, I probably already paid for the tow that I might never need.

Do you have an option for comp with $0 glass deductible?

I've kept towing as it costs us ~$3 a car/year - only used it once but it's probably been a breakeven now. I think among the complaints are how far the tow is good for and wait times, though I have not had either of those problems.

One thing to note is that you should definitely contact your insurance company and just ask them to tell you the difference in premiums depending on the deductible. May as well make your decision on the best information available.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Originally Posted By: Miller88
After my tires got slashed, I am dropping to $100.

I dropped it from $1000 to $500 when the difference was less than $2 for 6 months.

I had it 1000 after paying 3k cuz vandalism etc, I dropped it to 100
Premium went up 50$ per 6months

Which insurance company?

I am using ESurance now.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn

Do you have an option for comp with $0 glass deductible?

I've kept towing as it costs us ~$3 a car/year - only used it once but it's probably been a breakeven now. I think among the complaints are how far the tow is good for and wait times, though I have not had either of those problems.

With any set deducible on comprehensive, they will repair it for free. If it has to be replaced then whatever set deductible would have to be paid first.

Towing for two vehicles adds up to just under 40 a year on my policy. Also, if I raise collision to 1000, it will take 5 years to save enough on the premium to break even if I have to make a claim.

Just saw this video and I'm thinking because the tire wasn't stationary, but bouncing around still, that it would fall under a comprehensive claim. What do you all think? http://msnvideo.msn.com/?channelindex=2&...19-12398508952d

Russia? Unknown.
laugh.gif

But in the US...I think in this case, with video evidence and it being completely clear there was no chance to avoid, it should be covered under Comp. I used to do liability for a large insurance company and would have paid this claim.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Russia? Unknown.
laugh.gif

But in the US...I think in this case, with video evidence and it being completely clear there was no chance to avoid, it should be covered under Comp. I used to do liability for a large insurance company and would have paid this claim.

Would be a good reason, among many others, to look into some type of dash camera setup.

Insurance, peace of mind... It comes at a cost. While everyone should have sufficient liability coverage without question, the other stuff may not end up paying off. I've never made a claim under comprehensive or collision and in my many years of driving haven't used my insurance at all *knock on wood*. By now quite a few thousand, heck maybe more around a compact cars worth, would be in my pocket if I just skipped comprehensive and collision from the start.

When you have a loan on a car or lease it, the lender usually requires 500 dollar deductible on comp and collision.

As soon as I pay cars off, I move that to 1000 or 1500 and enjoy a nice savings.

Keep 1500 in the bank in case you need to have the car fixed.

Geico roadside assistance seems to be a good deal, I have used it twice and it is very cheap to add to a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back