COMPLETE oil drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for those of you who have experience with remote oil filters or coolers.

I don't have a remote filter installed yet (still doing the RX thing) but I do have the factory Ford oil cooler on my V-10. My question is how do I get ALL of the old dino oil out so that my RX'd engine can see the full benefits of Amsoil full synth and the Oil Guard filter I'm putting in?

If it were installed above the filter housing it would just run out but Ford saw fit to have the coller BELOW the filter height. I'm sure I could probably disconnect a line and complete the drain that way but it would be a total pain.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Mikie

My thinking is that you're not going to remove all of the old oil until one
or two oil changes later. The Auto-RX is going to pick up
most of the crud and put it into suspension anyway. I for one wouldn't sweat it.

The easiest thing to do would be to do an oil change, but only add maybe 2-3 quarts of Amsoil. Idle it for a minute, then drain that oil and do another oil change, refilling it with the correct amount of Amsoil. That way on the second change you'd have more of the Amsoil in there.

I'm thinking of doing something like this myself on my next oil change, since that GM 5w30 oil got mixed in with my Schaeffer 10w30.

[ November 07, 2002, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

You'll never get ALL the old stuff out, right? You'll quickly dilute it to where it's inconsequential, but some will ALWAYS remain in the system. (e.g., if 10% stays in the system on the 1st change, it'll go to 1% on the 2nd, 0.1% on the 3rd, etc.)

With all the flavors out now, can't oil selection be used to our advantage here? I'm not familiar with how AutoRx affects oil viscosity; I know it's a cleaner, but does it thin vis the way a solvent-type cleaner would? Would it be any benefit to use M1 15W-50 for the first-after-Rx run? Also, the 15W-50's advertised as "contains additional wear protection," so maybe that would balance the effects of residual ARx? Or maybe use Delvac 1 for the additive pkg once after ARx? Or some other vis/pkg combo?
Am I on drugs?
confused.gif

Auto-Rx doesn't effect viscosity anything like the solvents. Also, the recommendation for continuous cleaning is to add 2 oz. of Auto-Rx per oil charge at each oil change.

No worries.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back