Compensation doesn't feed people

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think any crop is going to retain its uniqueness for too long if it's got something else to cross pollinate with.

One of the problems is the GM crops passing on their fish or whatever genes to who-knows-what effect.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6262083407501596844&hl=en

Here's an independent film about Monsanto. It raises many interesting issues on how we are now eating GMO's without testing the long term effects...

What really bugs me about monsanto is that none of their products are necessary except to push the limits of industrial agriculture.
Growth hormones in dairy and beef cows are not necessary at all... Their only purpose is to make monsanto money, and let the industrial farmer feed cheaper khrap to the their animals while still maintaining production...
What your dinner eats, so do you. People seem to forget that and monsanto would deny it.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
One of the problems is the GM crops passing on their fish or whatever genes to who-knows-what effect.

Yes. One must be careful what you bring through the portal in terms of "advancement". There are reasons for rules. Really. UL can't be violated without consequences.

Seedsofdoom_title.jpg

Oh I see. So you think you know how to control evolution?
grin2.gif
(followed by direct eye contact with raised eyebrows)
grin2.gif

Control? ..well, I like to look at it as evolution management. Sorta like you do with stray crocks or alligators. Look what letting it run free has done
21.gif
frown.gif

Down here, the "roundup ready" (glyphosphate resistant) canola (rapeseed) has started crossing it's genes with the wild radishes and mustards.

Yeah, now the very weeds that it was intended to eliminate have glyphosphate resistance...even for the farmers who didn't plant frankencrops

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Down here, the "roundup ready" (glyphosphate resistant) canola (rapeseed) has started crossing it's genes with the wild radishes and mustards.

Yeah, now the very weeds that it was intended to eliminate have glyphosphate resistance...even for the farmers who didn't plant frankencrops

Shannow, you just don't understand, it is making Monsanto's investers, executives, board members and bribed regulators and congress critters money. Nothing else matters. Would you stand in the way of that kind of progress?

I wasn't aware that rapeseed was a mustard/cabbage relative.
Here's more info including the legal case in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola

Trivia time: Canola = "Canadian oil, low acid"

Last edited:
Wonder where THIS research will lead us.

http://www.usq.edu.au/newsevents/news/insecticideresearch.htm

"The toxins have enormous potential as insecticides of the near future due to their effectiveness and the fact they have been shown to be essentially harmless to humans and other large animals."

Sounds good. Now how about the effects on the smaller animals that aren't harmless to humans and large animals??

Have the patents on Roundup expired recently, by any chance? An excellent business model would be to release a new herbicide and weeds that tolerate the old one, at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back