Comparison Test - DA vs. Rotary vs. Forced DA, Which Burns Thru First?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyz6P9XeYrw

I thought this was an interesting test and the results were a bit surprising. The DA used in the test looked like a Zentool 21 (similar to a Rupes 21), which is a large-stroke DA with a 21mm orbit. The rotary appears to be a Rupes Rotary set between speeds 2-3 (which should be 800-900 rpm).

If the rotary speed was set higher (1200 rpm), the results may have been a bit different. In my experience, I rarely exceed speed 3.5 (out of 6) on my large-stroke DA for any correction or finishing work; it can deliver results similar to running a rotary at 1200 rpm.

Point is: DA's (forced or large-stroke) are not necessarily safer than a rotary.

Rotary with foam is very safe......but very hard to master a haze free shine. Hence why DA is so popular.

Short throw however (9mm or less) with foam is very safe. They were using long throw.

Originally Posted by Fordiesel69
Rotary with foam is very safe......but very hard to master a haze free shine. Hence why DA is so popular.

With a polishing or finishing foam pad, yes.

But with a cutting foam pad, you can generate a lot of heat. I am using this Meguiar's Burgundy foam rotary pad at 1200rpm with TLC and the amount of heat it is generating is shocking. Wool is generally a safer (and more usable) choice for compounding on a rotary, imo.

3A4C6C6F-1651-47E2-B670-F687A4FF06FF.jpeg

Back