Comparison of 5 oils for Dodge Diesel manual trans

so even gl-4 have phosphore? might be better to put tes 295 with an allison numnber in a gl-4 then ? last i checked the whole point of gl-4 is to not have phosphore! ty for the heads up ! awsome job! men i almost baught the 50 ! no wonder allison supply a special number to those that pass the tes 295 ! test . i was laughing it off , but look like its a nightmare to pass said test

Wow, quite the range of viscosities and add packs for the same transmission. The visc ranges from 7.4 to 30! A factory trans that comes with ATF+4 (visc 7.4) and a weaker add pack. A good debate over thin, thick, and very thick. I wouldn't have expected a Tan of 4.7 on the Pennz synchromesh.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
last i checked the whole point of gl-4 is to not have phosphore!

No.

The reason to run GL-4 (or GL-3 if you can even find it) rather than a GL-5 oil in a manual transmission is to eliminate SULPHUR which corrodes brass/bronze "yellow" metals commonly found in bushings and synchronizers. Not Phosphorous.

I'd like to see how some of the other manual trans boutique lubes compare- Redline MT-90 or RP Synchromax, for example.

But then trans fluid is neither replaced often, or likely to need frequent top-offs. If it were me, I'd just order the Getrag-recommended gear oil or the almost identical Delvac product.

Assuming the article is correct, it appears to me the two fluids that meet the MB specs are the MobilTrans SHC DC and the Mobil Delvac Synthetic Transmission Fluid 50, which are pretty much alike and suspect they are the same formulation.

No way does the ATF+4, the Pennzoil Synchromesh and nor would Gorilla Juice meet specs.

Last edited:
The Mercedes G56 was in use for years before it ever saw a Ram.

It also was never filled with ATF or anything like it before Chrysler laid hands on it.

As such, I do not use ATF or anything like it in my G56.

Originally Posted By: Dale_Knight
Couldn't find a voa or uoa of Ford XT-M5-QS MTF but wondering if it would be effective.
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...ion%20Fluid.pdf

I wouldn't consider the above if given a choice , and prefer Mobil Trans SHC DC and M Delvac Trans Fluid 50 for its higher operating viscosity and MOFT protection.
blush.gif

The only issue is the Mobil Trans SHC DC is impossible to find. It might not even be made anymore. The Delvac does work pretty well in its place once it has warmed up. I drained the ATF out of my G56 pretty much right away and have tried a few different gear oils. My favorite and what I am currently using is Torco RTF. It has given me the best all around performance.

Last edited:
I also use Torco RTF. I have a 2006 2500 CTD and switched to this at 59,000 miles. I have changed it once at 100,000 miles. The truck now has a little over 140,000 miles on it with no issues.

Does someone have a VOA on the Torco RTF? One that might include sulfur PPM content?

Since it is GL5/GL6 with "EP Additives" according to it's tech dates sheet, I'm wondering how much Sulfur it has in it?

Last edited:
The only issue is the Mobil Trans SHC DC is impossible to find. It might not even be made anymore. The Delvac does work pretty well in its place once it has warmed up. I drained the ATF out of my G56 pretty much right away and have tried a few different gear oils. My favorite and what I am currently using is Torco RTF. It has given me the best all around performance.
I also used Torco RTF in my 2006 Ram with the g56 transmission. No problems in over 100k miles. The transmission shifted better and ran cooler to the touch than the oem ATF.

Minor point, but Getrag isn't part of MB as far as I know, it's owned by Magna. When Magna bought it, they renamed it Magna PT.

Back