comparing supertech synthetic and other oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to try the 10W-30 full synthetic supertech high mileage oil from wal-mart. One thing i noticed when im pouring it into the engine.. the oil is very very clear.. and it pours like water. Is that good sign, bad sign, or no sign or what??
Then i did another oil change with mobil 1 synthetic, and the oil is a darker color and pours with a little more viscosity. any comments on this??

Without some type of laboratory analysis it is simply guessing about the quality of a oil. The color difference between the two oils you mention is due to differing additive packages of the oils and is no indication of any kind about the quality of the product.

All of the base oils that I have seen prior to blending were as clear as water. The color is from what they add to the oil.

SuperTech's change to making their 10W30 a high mileage oil may mean that production has changed from the old Shreveport blending plant to Shell (formerly Equilon). Does anyone know what Shell's or (Equilon) Havoline looked like?

you gotta start analyzing these oil samples and really find out if there is a worthwhile difference. Two samples would be a good start, well worth the relatively low cost. You just may find out that the walmart oil is working as good as the other stuff in your engine over the same amount of miles. give it a shot !.
smile.gif

I use Mobil 1 5W30. It is very clear and pours like water as well, so this is normal. I also am trying Rotela T 5W40 synthetic in one of my cars. It has a yellow tint but also pours easily. Don't worry...that is very normal. You don't need an oil analysis to tell you that.

there is a recent analysis of walmart oil in the used oil analysis on a mazda engine, numbers look pretty good on that car with that oil. not too shabby at all.

Actually that UOA was for PetroCanada's Tech 2000. SuperTech may either be Specialty Petroleum, a PZ/QS subsidiary, (maybe in the near future) Shell--extra Equilon capacity, or Warren Distribution Company-- either blending (like they do with Sears house brand Spectrum) or repackaging. No one's sure.

[ May 14, 2003, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:
there is a recent analysis of walmart oil in the used oil analysis on a mazda engine, numbers look pretty good on that car with that oil. not too shabby at all.

Keep in mind that it was a 3000 mile run and was all highway too (the miles were accumulated very fast). I think any oil would perform well under those conditions.

[ May 14, 2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back