comparing mobil drive clean and chevron 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
i hope i put a good subject title like patman said to do =). well i have been "oil shopping" for a while now and i saw that chevron supreme is 1.08 per qt. wow, mobil drive clean is 1.21 a quart.

what is the differnce of these oils? i have done a search on chevron and it came up good results, mobil drive clean is good as well....what is the better of the 2? well for a 3k oil change interval, warmer temps are comming.

thanks fellas.

[ April 27, 2003, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: digitaldrifter91 ]

For specs, just log onto both companies' web sites and open the respective product data sheets. I've used Mobil Drive Clean in my wife's '00 Cavalier and had no problems with oil consumption, weird noises at startup, or fuel mileage. I bought a crapload of Chevron Supreme 10W-30 while it was on closeout at Target and will be using it in a Hyundai Sonata V6 (currently 4,800 miles on the clock) purchased last December as soon as I use up my remaining stock of WallyWorld SuperTech 10W-30. Both Exxon/Mobil and ChevronTexaco have been and are at the forefront of hydroprocessing technology in base stock refining. (Both Mobil Drive Clean and Chevron Supreme use Group-II base stocks I believe.) If you'll be doing 3,000 mile oil changes like me, I don't think you'll be putting your motor at risk with either. The last I read on the subject, it appears that Chevron is now adding molybdenum to Chevron Supreme, though the previous formulation showed good wear numbers even without it. Dunno offhand about Mobil Drive Clean. Is either really superior to the other? No idea. Would I pay the extra 13 cents a quart for Mobil even if it was superior? No.

[ April 27, 2003, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Actually it was Vetteman's idea on the subject line, but thanks for doing it!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

(Both Mobil Drive Clean and Chevron Supreme use Group-II base stocks I believe.)

I think that all oils need at least Gr-II base oil to meet the tests in API service category SL, with the possible exception of some Gr-I mixed with enough Gr-III to meet the SL spec and sold as a high priced synthetic blend.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Actually it was Vetteman's idea on the subject line, but thanks for doing it!
smile.gif

opps...hahah my fault. your welcome.

in cleaning terms. mobil drive clean is a so called more of a cleaner now (made to drive cleanner...if u get what im saying). how does the cleaning power of drive clean compare to the chevron?

You could search the UOA section ... and see some of the results. Chevron Supreme has provided some spectacular results ... not sure about Mobil conventional. Certainly not as many people here use the latter stuff.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back