Compare resistances to flow of synthetic filters..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Is it really a true short cut around any debris that might have collected at the base end if a MC filter was in a vertical base down orientation like shown below?

I think that's why Ford makes it a point to show their orientation in their media about how the bypass operates. Obviously it would be an epic failure on that Toyota and you'd want a dome-end bypass in that application.

Yeah, a base end bypass might not be too good for a setup where the filter is mounted vertically and base down like on the Tacoma shown a few posts above.

I brought of the question because I was just curious if the Motorcraft bypass valve actually kept the bypassing oil completely out of the dirty side of the media ... ie, does it bypass using some unique path that doesn't allow any debris from being swept into the bypass flow? I've never really cut open a MC filter with a base end bypass to scrutinize the exact design of the bypass valve.

I have several pics of the ones I've cut open, I can send them to you if you like. Or if you need more details pics let me know as I have a few in stock still.

The picture in the link explains the path of oil and possible dirt pickup very well for both inlet and dome end bypass.

I have the filter at a similar angle to that diagram and have primarily used the FL820S with more recent use of the Bosch Premium equivalent.

I did notice with the Bosch Premium that my oil stayed cleaner after the first few thousand miles. Looks like the 99.9% efficiency media was doing its job.

In my current FL820S, the oil darkened more quickly but at 3000 miles it isn't at all bad. When I've used up my Bosch Premiums, I may go back to the FL820S.

Unless there is an equivalent with better filtering and a thread end bypass?

Originally Posted By: dickwells
Isn't that Toyota filter shown base down a fuel filter? Don't think there is a bypass on fuel filters.

Which one you talking about? Only photo in this thread is of a PureOne on a Tacoma ... and that's obviously an oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back