Compare M1 0W30 AFE to M1 5W30 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made another thread about the best oil filter for my 2010 Toyota Yaris. The Yaris was bought new in January 2010 and currently has 31,480 miles. I have used M1 5W30 from the first oil change.

The Yaris will be driven less than 5000 miles per year and it will be frequently driven less than 3 miles per day. Atleast twice a month it will be driven into town (that's 15 highway miles). I plan on doing oil changes just once a year.

With a little help from this forum, I have decided that the Fram Ultra would be a better choice than the Purolator currently on the car.

I will change the oil tomorrow, and will be using Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Performance (just got back from Wal-Mart 35 minutes ago).

I did look at Mobil 1 AFE 0W30 but on paper the Mobil 1 Extended Performace looked like a better choice

.......................0W30 AFE........5W30 EP
[email protected]
[email protected]
Viscosity Index.....166............169

Is there something else I should be looking at? Next time should I use 0W30? If so Why?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The differences are insignificant.

Agreed.

The 0w-30 might flow better at super cold starting temps, but since the OP is in Texas, I'd say that's irrelevant for him.

Originally Posted By: wrf01a
The Yaris will be driven less than 5000 miles per year and it will be frequently driven less than 3 miles per day.

Doesn't Toyota allow Xw-20 in this engine? If so, and given the short tripping, why not just run that?

EP is not the correct oil to be using for 5k OCI, just use the regular vanilla Mobil 1 5w30.

When comparing The AFE 0w30 to EP 5w30, you are missing the low temperature testing that is done to certify them as a 0w or 5w, in which the 0w30 should perform much better below freezing, which is not relevant to Texas.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
EP is not the correct oil to be using for 5k OCI, just use the regular vanilla Mobil 1 5w30.

+1

Originally Posted By: wag123

+1

+2.....Consider doing 7500 to 8000 OCI's with M-1 5w30. Its a pure waste of good oil and resources, as well as $$, to do the 5000 your doing.

M-1 5w30 is guaranteed by ExMob for 10,000 miles. If your mindset is locked into a 5000 OCI, save some $$$ and use a good conventional like Mobil Super 5000 or PYB.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: wag123

+1

+2.....Consider doing 7500 to 8000 OCI's with M-1 5w30. Its a pure waste of good oil and resources, as well as $$, to do the 5000 your doing.

M-1 5w30 is guaranteed by ExMob for 10,000 miles. If your mindset is locked into a 5000 OCI, save some $$$ and use a good conventional like Mobil Super 5000 or PYB.

I sincerely appreciate everyone that took the time to respond. I did not know that the regular M1 was good to 10,000 miles.

My main concern is the time between oil changes, one year, and the fact that the car will not fully warm up the majority of the time. So will regular M1 provide adequate protection?
I intend to change the oil at least once a year regardless.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The differences are insignificant.

Agreed.

The 0w-30 might flow better at super cold starting temps, but since the OP is in Texas, I'd say that's irrelevant for him.

You are of course right, I've lived here over 20 years and I only remember once when it got below 0

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Doesn't Toyota allow Xw-20 in this engine? If so, and given the short tripping, why not just run that?

It may, but I've used Mobil 1 5W30 since the first oil change. I would like to stay with that weight. My job has changed and now I live 1.2 miles from where I will be working

YES, I am considering a bicycle.

So if EP has better additives that would protect the engine under these circumstances, I would rather use it, but if the M1 I am currently using is good enough, then I will stay with what I've been using.

No, the EP does not have "better additives" to protect the engine better, rather it has a more robust composition of additives to maintain a longer interval, which may not be an ideal oil for 5,000 miles.

I would probably recommend Supertech Synthetic for 5k miles or Quaker State Ultimate Durability if you want a super bargain syn.

No, the EP does not have "better additives" to protect the engine better, rather it has a more robust composition of additives to maintain a longer interval, which may not be an ideal oil for 5,000 miles.

I now understand, thanks

I guess that I will stay with the Mobil 1 5W30. It has serve me well

EP has served me just fine for ~5k intervals. The "ideal" argument and "not correct" statement makes no sense.

Concerning Mobil synthetics, feel free to use the 0w30afe, 5w30, 5w30ep, 5w30hm, 5w30ss, 5w30esp, ...

But, consider a 20 grade. It's not like your oil temp will get too hot in a 1.2 mile commute. Mobil has 0w20afe, 5w20, 5w20ep, 0w20ep, 5w20ss, 0w20ss, 5w20hm...

I'd worry about condensation buildup and fuel dilution. UOA the oil after 6 months to verify your driving style is safe for yearly intervals.

Marketing aside, any synth should make that once a year change interval but doesn't Toyota require a shorter time interval for severe service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back