Companies making a credit inquiry without your permission?

I got an email from Credit Karma saying someone had made a "hard inquiry" on my credit. I logged in to my Credit Karma and it was this company:

CURO MANAGEMENT, LLC.

I've never heard of them and I haven't applied for any credit with anyone whatsoever. Anyone here ever have this happen? This is a new one on me, as I've never had Credit Karma send me this kind of alert before.

It is likely that someone is trying to use your identity to borrow money or apply for a credit card. You need to go on each of the three major credit bureau's websites and freeze your credit so nobody can pull your credit. It's very easy to do.

I've had inquiries, forget if hard or soft, from Progressive insurance, whom I left several years ago. I assume they want me back.

Mabye Curo is a property management operation and they randomly picked your name because of a similar name applying for an apartment.

Still, you should lock your credit.

Since it was Credit Karma that sent you the email take a look at this from their website. People can say what they want about Credit Karma but I like them.

As others have said you need to get after this now!

I got an email from Credit Karma saying someone had made a "hard inquiry" on my credit. I logged in to my Credit Karma and it was this company:

CURO MANAGEMENT, LLC.

I've never heard of them and I haven't applied for any credit with anyone whatsoever. Anyone here ever have this happen? This is a new one on me, as I've never had Credit Karma send me this kind of alert before.
I use Credit Karma as well and have been doing so for about five years. I've not had a situation as you described. Maybe someone tried to obtain credit in your name, perhaps one of your accounts was hacked.

This has come up before with Curo Management:

Verify the pull at whatever credit reporting company that has it - Credit Karma is a good tool, but not perfect.

After that, lock down your Credit Reports. I tell everyone to do so - I got burned by this about 5 years ago and spent hours getting things made right. Since then, I get reports about 2 or 3 times a year of someone trying to pull a report and being denied.

I just got off the phone with that loan company and they said someone tried to take out a loan in my name but did not have all my information. They blocked the application process and is emailing me an affidavit to notarize and email back to them, and they are going to remove it from my credit report.

Last edited:
My situation isn’t like yours but I received two credit denial letters from a local Honda dealer. I test drove an used Passport last month and never filled out any paperwork. So some lowlife at the dealer tried to run my credit without my SSN and I was declined. My information is in their system because they performed warranty work on a past car I owned. I checked my credit report and it doesn’t show any hard pulls. I would be livid if I had hard pulls because of these slime balls.

CURO MANAGEMENT, LLC.

If you locked your credit it couldn’t happen.
It’s free and easy.

Since your are not aware of why, you better be concerned about fraud because there could be a strong possibility someone is taking out a loan in your name.
If your credit was locked it is impossible for this to happen.
You could also try calling them, I wouldn’t give them personal information though.

And now that I posted all this I can see you resolved it but I’ll leave the post because it confirms what I preach Lock Your Credit.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with that loan company and they said someone tried to take out a loan in my name but did not have all my information. They blocked the application process and is emailing me an affidavit to notarize an email back to them, and they are going to remove it from my credit report.
Something sounds fishy about this, if they didn't have all the needed information then why did it even go as far as it did, they should have never ran a credit report without all the needed info.

Not sure I would settle for this answer.

I just now put a freeze on my credit.
Very cool, for some, not you, it might seem intimidating or confusing at first but overtime it’s really simple and you get used to it.
I have my credit report locked on the three majors (experian, transunion, equifax) and one major commercial credit bureau.

We’ve had ours locked for years and now we are used to going in and putting a temporary unlock on our credit reports before applying for credit and what’s really cool is you can then select a date for them to automatically re-lock it.
It’s really cool to see people follow through and lock the reports, not many people do, it’s one of the most effective ways to secure yourself from fraud and it’s all free do to an act of Congress.

Very cool, for some, not you, it might seem intimidating or confusing at first but overtime it’s really simple and you get used to it.
I have my credit report locked on the three majors (experian, transunion, equifax) and one major commercial credit bureau.

We’ve had ours locked for years and now we are used to going in and putting a temporary unlock on our credit reports before applying for credit and what’s really cool is you can then select a date for them to automatically re-lock it.
It’s really cool to see people follow through and lock the reports, not many people do, it’s one of the most effective ways to secure yourself from fraud and it’s all free do to an act of Congress.
I like the auto re-lock option. I’ll definitely make sure I do that as well👍

Back