Companies making a credit inquiry without your permission?

My wife has had like 3 credit cards tried to get opened in her name the last couple months and also 2 loans/mortgages trying to get in her name as well. Sounds like the scammers are going full hog.

I'm impressed that they spoke to you. From a "security" standpoint, they have to be careful in doing so 'cause you could be the scammer.
Yeah I was pleasantly surprised at how professional they were. Girl on the phone emailed me an affidavit to fill out and notarize to have the credit inquiry removed.

^^^
Good point above, well done
Another cool feature, every year, again due to an act of Congress, you can download your complete credit report from all three credit agencies.
You will have pages and pages of things to look over, chances are you will find a mistake or two and when you do you can take care of it all over the Internet at the respective credit bureaus website.
They will investigate it for you and remove it, if they need any more additional information they will contact you.

About 10 years ago I found some odd meaningless things on my credit report but the fact was they shouldn’t have been there and to correct an error it was just a matter of clicking to report it has incorrect information and they took care of everything.

Here is the government website. By the way you can just go to one link and request all three credit reports at one time, or you could select one company at a time even over a year so you don’t get overwhelmed trying to go over and take care of everything at one time.

BTW right from the government website above make sure to look at it all, don’t go searching on the Internet because there’s a lot of outfits out there that want to charge you or sign you up for services you don’t need.

“Only one website — AnnualCreditReport.com — is authorized to fill orders for the free annual credit report you are entitled to under law.”​

This was a great thread glad it all worked out for you

Last edited:
I have mine locked also. I always forget the password. So it actually prevents me from doing stupid things like going to attempt to finance a new vehicle lol

• Haha
Reactions: Pew
I have mine locked also. I always forget the password. So it actually prevents me from doing stupid things like going to attempt to finance a new vehicle lol
LOL
Rings a bell!
Some years ago we couldn’t put my wife’s name and my name on a car we were purchasing for my wife because she couldn’t get her credit unlocked at the dealership LOL
She’s really good and detail oriented at everything she does at her company but wow when it comes to passwords, well I’m kind of used to it and I have to admit it’s kind of cute as she gets so stressed out🤪

She has since got a little better but still funny

We’ve had ours locked for years and now we are used to going in and putting a temporary unlock on our credit reports before applying for credit and what’s really cool is you can then select a date for them to automatically re-lock it.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. I just froze my credit now to just in case.

I just now put a freeze on my credit.

Wise move. I've had mine frozen for about 15 years, it used to be a pain to unfreeze but now it's super simple, I can do it from my phone in 10 secs and most companies know which credit bureau you need to unlock.

Wise move. I've had mine frozen for about 15 years, it used to be a pain to unfreeze but now it's super simple, I can do it from my phone in 10 secs and most companies know which credit bureau you need to unlock.
It is much easier now, I've had mine froze for almost 10 years now. The even better part is the fact that Congress finally changed the law prohibiting the credit companies from charging you $20+ to unfreeze your credit like they used to. Never understood how that was allowed. Credit should be frozen by default, not open for all scammers to be able to take advantage of people.

I just applied and received a Capitol One WM.com 5% rebate card to buy gold from WM.com

Easy, was amazed it (the credit check) bounced against my locked credit but still approved in seconds, card on the way.

What are people using to freeze or lock your credit ? Seems like you have to do it with all (3) credit agencies and people talk about managing it with a phone app. Does that mean an app for Transunion, Experia, and Equifax ?

I have my 3 major bureaus and 4 or 5 of the minor ones frozen. It was nice because when I bought my truck in February, I did the un-freeze process and it allowed the transaction to proceed.

What are people using to freeze or lock your credit ? Seems like you have to do it with all (3) credit agencies and people talk about managing it with a phone app. Does that mean an app for Transunion, Experia, and Equifax ?
What I did, was go online and make accounts with all three credit agencies.

What I did, was go online and make accounts with all three credit agencies.

Just a heads up - these accounts generate a ton of useless email with sales pitches for "services".

Experian in particular is annoying. The account settings can reduce some of the nonsense, but not all.

Enrages me that you need to create an account to "lock" your own data, and they try to sell you services to fix a problem created by their inability to secure your information in the first place. [rant over]

Good luck.

Update. I called Experian on the phone and talked to their fraud department. They removed the fraudulent hard inquiry from my credit report. Gf being an attorney,although she is an immigration attorney,she told me from a lawyer’s brain,don’t volunteer any info to that loan company. Get in touch with Experian first and go from there,so that’s what I did.

I still have the affidavit. I won’t be sending it to them.

Back