Compact Multi-Function needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for my job I'm going to need a copier of sorts for some of the audits I do.

I was thinking about buying a multi-function printer/all-in-one type device and keeping it in the truck with me to use for copying my audits etc. Also would come in handy if I need to print something I could just hook up my laptop to it.

I have 400 Watts (600 Peak) AC power available in the truck and was thinking about an ink-jet colour M.F. of sorts like one of the Brother units.

I was looking for something light weight and somewhat compact enough to get the job done. The reason for the weight/size is because in the winter I will have to carry it inside to keep it warm and I don't want to be lugging something heavy in/out of the truck all the time.

I even had the crazy idea of setting up a printer that has wireless printing capability and talking to it in my car from inside the restaurant via a wireless router I could just keep running in the truck with the printer.
LOL.gif
(I know I'm nuts!)

cheers3.gif
Thanks in advance!

Good ideas, especially the wireless. As long as you have power supply for it, it's doable. The only thing that may be problematic is the fax function for your all-in-one. You would need to be hooked to a phone line for that.

As for the product itself, I have seen small ones in Staples. I don't usually pay much attention to them but you can't go wrong with brands like HP, Sharp, etc. I think these have become a commodity and any of them will do the job fine.

I don't need the fax part of it as I will have to submit these audits via e-mail using a PDF to our office, but I need a copier/printer so I can print out blank audit forms and make copies for the restaurant to have once I'm done.

I'm surprised I haven't seen more replies.
grin2.gif

I thought of this a long time and the problem was the weight/ bulk of machines. Then it occurred to me a small fax machine may be the best choice. I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-J3680-Officejet-All-in-One-Printer/dp/B0013TS0T0/ref=pd_cp_e_2

I need the fax function. But, it makes nice copies and what is nice it will feed multiple copies. The feeding tray and tray to hold the paper you copy fold up to protect this unit. It is light.

Downside it comes with a 5 ml cartridge. It can except a large capacity cartridge with about 20 ml of ink. I does make nice copies. You may have to secure the phone or disconnect it. It may work without it. I also have the model without the phone headpiece. Forgot the model, it is at another site. Same type of design. The paper tray folds up also. Makes it nice for moving around.

Regarding wireless, you need to get help for your problem!
LOL.gif

I am very creative an inventive. Sometimes I get a little carried away, then have to be more realistic. I think anything wireless is going to mean larger, heavier, and bulkier machine.

What I think I have finally decided on is to get a Brother (cheapest) inkjet multi-function with fax, flatbed, printer etc. Set it up in my trunk and use it to copy my audit report for the restaurant in hard copy and then use it to make a PDF for my copy. (I hate paper)

I was going to power this with my A/C power plugs I have in the truck as the inkjet draws way less than the available 400(600 peak) watts I have available.

This is the best solution so I don't have to cart the multifunction into the restaurant with me and can leave it the truck all day, and just take it in at night so it doesn't get too hot/cold in the summer/winter.

Thoughts, Comments?

P.s. I'm gonna get help for my wireless router/wireless printing idea.
LOL.gif

This is the one I ended up getting today...

http://www.brother.ca/en/all-in-one/description.asp?Prodid=4785265496467951493&features=on

498E2465EC5E0656E1000000CD86208B.gif

Does everything I need it to do and has separate individual ink cartridges for each colour which is good because I will only be using a bit of colour here/there and mostly black.

It draws 0.5amps max and is well within the power supply I have in the truck.

It was $45.99 + Taxes
grin2.gif
& stupid Government Disposal fees!
mad.gif

Still open to discussion on it for ideas, and I can always return if I find something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back