Compact jump pack needed.

Schumacher died, gives me r2 error.
never used for anything other than the onboard compressor.

looking for a small one that will reside in the vehicle for long periods of time with no use.
No need for compressor.

I don’t care if I have to recharge after jumping a vehicle or two.

I have a small Lithium powered Schumacher from O'Reilly. Absolutely love it. Jumped a dead Camry 4 times in a row today and still had 79% left.

Noco Boost

boost plus?

I've had a Schumacher SL1 for two years. It holds a charge for a long time, I've used it over a dozen times and it has worked great. It's rated at 400 amp peak/270 amp cranking and it works fine on the 4.8L in the Silverado. I think it's been discontinued, but you will probably find a comparable Schumacker that is not too expensive.

boost plus?

I have that one, but they have many models. They even sell a variant only in Sams Club that is cheaper. Most of the models will work fine to jump the average vehicle.

Watch one or two videos at the Project Farm youtube channel, at least so you don't buy one that can't do the job.

Gave my daughter a NOCO GB40 three years ago. She’s jumped at least half a dozen cars with it. Most recently on Tuesday. Good piece of gear.

I just keep a small battery on float charge in my garage. I’m not a fan of carrying around a battery that will either be sensitive to automotive temperature extremes (Li-ion), or have issues with not staying fully charged (lead acid type).

I just keep a small battery on float charge in my garage. I’m not a fan of carrying around a battery that will either be sensitive to automotive temperature extremes (Li-ion), or have issues with not staying fully charged (lead acid type).

Doesn't help much out on the road somewhere. Is the main reason for a jump pack to not connect car to car with jumpers?

Doesn't help much out on the road somewhere. Is the main reason for a jump pack to not connect car to car with jumpers?
Different strokes for different folks. I can count the number of times I’ve needed it on one hand with fingers removed.

If I’ve gotten to the point where my battery is so weak that I can’t count on it and need a jump pack, a regular battery can live in my trunk for a time and will do the job better.

in the case of a hard shorted cell, even a tow truck can’t jump it without manually shorting the starter solenoid (btdt), so a jump pack is all but useless.

I’ve measured and assessed my risk, and am comfortable with the approach, which I’ve found to be cheaper and better long term. YMMV.

How about an ultracapacitor based one? interesting?!?

I'd just stay away from no-name brands.. lithium batteries in car could be car fire fast.
do you trust Poo-Poo brand from amazon?

ultracapacitor type is the "ultimate" in leave it in the car jump starting.

Last edited:
I’ve measured and assessed my risk, and am comfortable with the approach, which I’ve found to be cheaper and better long term. YMMV.

Not disputing your personal approach. The OP was asking about a jump box to live in the car all the time.

I don't try to get the last crank out of a dying battery. When I notice one slowing down it's gone.

Surprising this thread hasn't gone to "don't jump new cars" so you don't fry the electronics.

Last edited:
Keep an eye out for sales. I got this one for $123, now $200:

NOCO Boost HD GB70 2000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Portable Lithium Jump Starter, Car Battery Booster Pack, And Jumper Cables For Up To 8-Liter Gasoline And 6-Liter Diesel Engines https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B016UG6...i_glc_fabc_SX07FbZM4HDDW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve only had to use it once. I was surprised that it started the car immediately, without any time to charge.

How about an ultracapacitor based one? interesting?!?

I'd just stay away from no-name brands.. lithium batteries in car could be car fire fast.
do you trust Poo-Poo brand from amazon?

ultracapacitor type is the "ultimate" in leave it in the car jump starting.
Project Farm tested it. iirc, found it underwhelming.

I got a DBPOWER one.
Amazon.com: DBPOWER 800A 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter (up to 7.2L Gas, 5.5L Diesel Engine) Battery Booster with Smart Charging Port, Compass, LCD Screen and LED Light (Black/Red): Automotive

It works.

Surprising this thread hasn't gone to "don't jump new cars" so you don't fry the electronics.
To me, that’s why a stand-alone battery with cables is most ideal, no boosting circuits, no funny business.

Back