Comp cam lube as full assembly lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, have a bottle of the comp cams cam lube, red tacky stuff consistency of honey. My question is that if this lube could work just as well for main bearings, rod bearings? appears to resemble close to some assembly lubes ive used in the past. Not sure what the exact differences are that make this specifically a cam lube. Thanks

I don't prefer their lube for cams or any other application, but it's better than nothing on a cam.

For bearings I like Clevite Bearing Guard, it's significantly thicker than the Comp Cams lube is.

For Cams I've had the best luck with Red Line cam break in lube and a now discontinued Mopar Cam break in lube.

I've had mixed results with the Comp Cams lube in the past so now I just use it for pushrods, distributor gears, rocker arms, oil pumps etc and stick to the Red Line cam break in lube which I've never lost a cam with.

If the person is going to run the engine / car as soon as it is put together , how would engine oil / motor oil work as an assembly lube ?

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
If the person is going to run the engine / car as soon as it is put together , how would engine oil / motor oil work as an assembly lube ?

That is what OEMs use for assembly.

Originally Posted by jbird988
... cam lube, red tacky stuff consistency of honey. My question is that if this lube could work just as well for main bearings, rod bearings?

Not by itself. You can mix a little 50/50 with 10W-30 and that works well. 2 tablespoons will do an entire shortblock.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
I use a 5% moly grease, $3 a tube.

Also works great. I've assembled many, many engines with just plain ol' grease (any grease will do) right from the tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back