Common Oils and their Group Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched and been unable to find a comprehensive chart that would show the group classifications for all these oils we are talking about. And yet lots of people can say, "yeah, Mobil 1 is a group V..."...Pennzoil Platinum is group III"...but where is this information, all in one place, for all the oils we are discussing? Can anyone direct me to such a chart?

Originally Posted By: Drivebelt
This lubeassist is a good article that covers hydrocracking and the 5 oil groups (scroll down to middle of page).

Good link. According to that article Group II oils are legally considered synthetic. Something I didn't know.

Originally Posted By: mosearch
I have searched and been unable to find a comprehensive chart that would show the group classifications for all these oils we are talking about. And yet lots of people can say, "yeah, Mobil 1 is a group V..."...Pennzoil Platinum is group III"...but where is this information, all in one place, for all the oils we are discussing? Can anyone direct me to such a chart?

You can't find it because no such chart or compilation exists.
wink.gif

At least, not credibly.

If people talk about that stuff, they are almost always speculating. Oil formulations are proprietary, so there's no way for people to know for sure, much less to compile all the info in one place.

We do know some vague things; for example, Amsoil loves PAO, Red Line loves esters, and the big oil companies aren't afraid to use Group III if it performs well and cost less. It's impossible to get much more specific than that.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
mosearch said:
If people talk about that stuff, they are almost always speculating. Oil formulations are proprietary, so there's no way for people to know for sure, much less to compile all the info in one place.

Thanks. That would explain the problem. Still I would have expected that there would be agreement on which Group to which each specific oil formula-design belonged. Otherwise, I can't see much use in the term "Group" as a purely speculative catagory.

From reading posts on this forum.....by folks who know far more than I do about oil....
Putting a specific oil into a "class" is kind of hard as many use a mix of ingredients in their base stocks.
For instance....Redline uses Ester in their base stock blend....but they use other sources as well.
So.....IF it has Ester and PAO......it would be both Group V and IV.

As the same folks say.....the end product is what is important......the base stock and the aditive package........and how well it performs in your particular application.

Originally Posted By: Drivebelt
This lubeassist is a good article that covers hydrocracking and the 5 oil groups (scroll down to middle of page).

Good article. It doesn't address Group II+ though. What is the difference between II and II+?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back